How many times can I use Windows 7?

triplechill

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
I currently own and use an old refurbished computer running xp (primarily used for video games), but it has lately been very glitchy. Because of this I am looking to build a new computer soon. But since the hardware on my current computer isn't too terrible I am interested in putting windows 7 on it for now, and then using the same windows 7 on my new computer.

So my question is, will I be able to purchase windows 7 (preferably online) and then put it on my old computer, then my new one? If so, how and what specific windows 7 package do I need? Are there risks involved with doing it? Is this even possible, or do I need to buy two windows 7 packages?

Note - I don't intend to have windows 7 on both at the same time, if I need to I can remove windows 7 from the old computer to use it on the new one.

Note - I live in Canada.

Thanks in advance!

jaraldo

Honorable
If you are just transfering windows 7 to a new computer, then I'd say yes you can.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

Windows only mentions about not using it on more than 1 computer at once.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/activating-windows-faq#1TC=windows-7

I'm wondering why you would want to install windows 7 on a computer that is being glitchy with windows XP. It will probably act worse with Win 7 :p

What are your specs? Your old computer may not even be able to run windows 7 very well.

triplechill

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
You bring up a valid point that it would probably be even more glitchy on a windows 7 (any reasons why?). My main reason for putting it on my old computer is to make it usable until I can build my new computer, but if it would just be glithcy really no point in it.

My system specs are:
AMD A6-3650 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (4 CPUS) 2.6 Ghz
3046 MB Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6530D 1GB

By transferring do you mean from my old computer to my new computer?

Thanks in advance!

jaraldo

Honorable
Yup, that first link I gave talks about transferring it from one computer to another, like your old to new one.

3GB ram is ok, though 4 is the recommended amount. (8 would be ideal)

I can't really guarantee it would be much better. How long are you going to be using this old computer for?

triplechill

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
Hmmmm, interesting. I'm planning for 8 GB of ram in my new computer. I probably won't be using my old computer too much longer. So I suppose the hassle isn't really worth it, and plus, the time I'll save putting it on the old one can just be used working towards my new computer. Thank you!