How many total bytes written is healthy?

Kypav

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I just got my Samsung EVO 120gb SSD. I have used it for about a day now and I have 0.1TB TBW already, is that much? How much should it normally increase and how do I lower it if I have to?

You can expect the drive to live to around 3,000 times its full capacity written. Which is about 300-400 TB. With 0.1 TB written per day, it would last for roughly ten years.

Make sure you don't defragment the drive, that has no benefits on SSDs anyway.

if you've just got it and just installed everything, then duh! you'll have written a lot to it, 0.1 TB is 100GB, so with some formatting (that's a write), and installation of windows and other software you'll have done the most writing you'll be doing for a while.

0.1TB = 102.4GB

All SSD manufacturers write data to their drives to test them before they are sent to retailers to sell to consumers.

You don't have to worry about drive longevity with current generation SSDs. Use your SSD as you would a HDD.

Consumer-grade SSDs have been out since 2008 and there have been no posts by anyone yet that their SSD died because they "wrote too much" to it.

The more the better, but bear in mind there's already some capacity set aside. IMO it's as much an issue of convenience - having some room left empty means you don't have to be careful to avoid running into "HD full" error messages.

Leave around 15% free.
You can also just mentally note how your performance is at 15%, and then continue to use it until only 10% or 5% is available and then see how your system is performing. If you don't notice any real-world performance slow-down then don't worry about it.

Meeeee

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
I have a Samsung 840 EVO 120gb as well.. Ive had it for about 2 or 3 months now, using it every day. The total writes at this point is 0.50 TB, so 500 GB, which seems to be not much ^^
The thing I do, is I've put all of my data on the 1TB HDD I have, downloads go to there, desktop is on there... pics, video's everything. Only the os, software and like 2 games on the SSD