How many use wireless keyboards here?

ME

Any advice on what wireless keyboard to buy?

Should one avoid BlueTooth or is that OK?

And...... dumb question here.... but are there ant
wireless keyboards that have a mouse built into the
keyboard itself rather than a separate wireless mouse?

In article <dd4ka11ob1rpnfl10urk24ocaiaspv8go5@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
says...

> Any advice on what wireless keyboard to buy?

Yes. Don't buy any of them unless you want to run the risk of
someone with the right equipment being able to monitor your every
keystroke.

> Should one avoid BlueTooth or is that OK?

Considering how many recent articles there've been on Bluetooth
security holes, I'm surprised you need to ask.

If you care about security, stick with hardwired units.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

fred

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Any advice on what wireless keyboard to buy?
>
> Should one avoid BlueTooth or is that OK?
>
> And...... dumb question here.... but are there ant
> wireless keyboards that have a mouse built into the
> keyboard itself rather than a separate wireless mouse?

I assume you mean a trackball, joystick(thinkpad) or touchpad?

Use Google "wireless keyboard"+(trackball OR touchpad OR joystick)

me@privacy.net wrote:

> Any advice on what wireless keyboard to buy?

I'm partial to the Logitech ones, but be sure to activate Secure Mode
for your KB

ME

>I'm partial to the Logitech ones, but be sure to activate Secure Mode
>for your KB

Are you referring to a Bluetooth keyboard?

Or a reg RF keyboard as well?

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>I'm partial to the Logitech ones, but be sure to activate Secure Mode
>>for your KB
>

> Are you referring to a Bluetooth keyboard?
>
> Or a reg RF keyboard as well?

No Bluetooth, conventional wireless KB technology only.

"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in message
> In article <dd4ka11ob1rpnfl10urk24ocaiaspv8go5@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
> says...
>
> > Any advice on what wireless keyboard to buy?
>
> Yes. Don't buy any of them unless you want to run the risk of
> someone with the right equipment being able to monitor your every
> keystroke.

Sounding more than a tad paranoid here IMO.

Can't somebody do this with software on your PC? Or from an insecure
wireless LAN setup? Why is this type of wireless connection any more prone
to security issues than anything else?

I've been runnng wireless (IR) keyboard and mouse from Logitech and love it.
Just got a similar Bluetooth version from Logitech for another system. It's
great having fewer wires around here.

> > Should one avoid BlueTooth or is that OK?
>
> Considering how many recent articles there've been on Bluetooth
> security holes, I'm surprised you need to ask.
>
> If you care about security, stick with hardwired units.
>

> --
> Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute.
> (Known to some as Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR,
> kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
> "If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped
> with surreal ports?"

That's total nonsense. They only have an effective range of 3-6 ft.

> Yes. Don't buy any of them unless you want to run the risk of
> someone with the right equipment being able to monitor your every
> keystroke.

I have the Dell wireless and a couple of others (off-brands).

I do NOT recommend the Dell wireless keyboard due to the key layout. It's
really awkward and I usually end up hitting the wrong keys. Also, the Dell
keyboard does not offer reprogrammable keys to any extent) and my off-brand
has about a dozen (or so, I really don't remember). It (off brand) also has
a standard layout which allows faster typing and less errors. You should be
able to get a good deal on one on eBay.

Bluetooth or not to Bluetooth? Doesn't really matter, the range is so short
that for all wireless keyboards that there's no security issue (even with
wireless keyboards in the same office (like ours). Personally I don't like
the one's with the built-in trackball (don't recall if there are any on the
wireless scene, but I wouldn't buy one anyway. Personally I wouldn't pay
extra with Bluetooth.

The Dell's batteries last for months on the keyboard, but about 6 weeks on
the mouse (depends on use). FWIW, one nice feature is that the base receiver
has a LED which illuminates when the mouse battery is getting weak. Not
enough of a feature to recommend it however.