[SOLVED] How many watts per channel should I be looking at in a fan controller?

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I have 5 x 120mm red LED fans, but only 2 fan ports on my Motherboard. If I install a fan controller, how many watts per channel should I be looking at? They range from 8 to 60 watts per channel according to pcpartpicker. Or should I just use PWM Fan splitters and connect 3 fans to 1 mobo port and 2 fans to the other port instead?

Solution
Most motherboard fan headers are 12V @ 1A = 12W. So there's your watts per channel.

2 way fan splitters are safe since there's almost no fans that draw more than 0.5A each (unless you're using high speed delta fans). 3 way requires some research into the particular fans being used. Please provide that info.
Most motherboard fan headers are 12V @ 1A = 12W. So there's your watts per channel.

2 way fan splitters are safe since there's almost no fans that draw more than 0.5A each (unless you're using high speed delta fans). 3 way requires some research into the particular fans being used. Please provide that info.

Solution

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015

The fans are these Corsair AF120 Red LED 120mm. They are only 3 pin, so I'm not sure the PWM splitters will work, since they are 4 pin.

If I use a fan controller, would I be able to use something like this Thermaltake Commander FT Fan Controller? Or do you have a better suggestion?