How many years will my computer last until I need to upgrade/replace?

refllect

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I only play MOBAs and MMORPGs plus the occasional strategy game like Civilization or Shogun Total War. Though these games are getting more demanding each year as they come out with new ones. I'm wondering how long it will be until I can't run all of these on medium-high settings anymore.

What I have now:
Core i3-3245
Radeon HD 7770
8GB 1600mhz RAM

Solution

For the MMORPG/MOBAs I would give a little longer because they intentionally upgrade the graphics slower on those so more people can keep up for longer (if you instantly upgraded the graphics super high you would lose a lot of customers who were barely running it in the first place). If...
As your computer gets older you'll find that you'll be playing at lower settings with newer games that are more complex and resource demanding. There's no way to know what games will be released and what the requirements will be but you do know for sure that the newer games will be trying to make use of the newer components and technology. Probably the first component that will need to be upgraded is the video card.

thepinkanator95

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I would say at the rate games are using new technology, you'll need to upgrade in 3 to 9 months. Your first priority should be the graphics card followed by the CPU (if you your chipset allows it, an i5 or an i7 with the i7 lasting you longer, my computer is crapping out and not allowing me to read this correctly so I can't tell if you put the motherboard on there).

refllect

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

3 to 9 months? I'm not playing the newest most graphic intensive games

thepinkanator95

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

For the MMORPG/MOBAs I would give a little longer because they intentionally upgrade the graphics slower on those so more people can keep up for longer (if you instantly upgraded the graphics super high you would lose a lot of customers who were barely running it in the first place). If your older games run fine now they will always run fine. To get new games I would say 3-9 months you will need to upgrade (although probably closer to 9 months). If you are mainly buying older games (say circa 2010-2011) and continue to buy in that pattern, I would give you about a year to a year and a half to play the games smoothly where you want them at a reasonable temperature.

Solution