how many years will the i7 7700k last?

samoilaaa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2014
hi guys i want to upgrade from fx 8350 and get a very good cpu
and im thinking i7 7700k
if i will get this cpu will it last for lets say 5-6 years or even more?
forgot to say that i want the cpu only for gaming nothing else

Solution
In the past i5's and i7's have been viable for a good 4-6yrs depending on needs, I wouldn't expect anything different from the current i7's than those from the 4th, 3rd or 2nd gen. Ryzen is due out in the somewhat near future but no real word yet on real world performance or pricing.

There's no ryzen available that's been pitted against existing cpu's across a variety of games or other applications to properly place it's price/performance. It's really no different than intel, it will mean a new cpu, a different motherboard, a reinstall of windows, ddr4 ram. Everything you'd upgrade to run intel you'd be doing for ryzen, at least intel is a known product in terms of price and performance.

Physically cpu's last for years, 7, 8, 10yrs...

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
It's kind of hard to predict where software will go but I've been on a i7-3770 since it was released and I still see no real big reason to upgrade. I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with even earlier gen i7's as well. I've been only upgrading my graphics cards and it's been able to handle just about any game. The only thing that's been kind of giving me an itch to upgrade is NVME SSD boot support.

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
I can't remember where, but i once read that to have optimal gaming experience, you should
upgrade your CPU every 5 years and
upgrade your GPU every 3 years.
This law is valid for top-tier high-end products (i7-7700K is one of them) for the best (mainly gaming) experience.

From my personal experience:
It will soon be almost 3 years after i bought my i5-4690K (which is the strongest ever released Core i5 from the i5-4xxx series) and what can i say is, i mainly do programming, try-out and sometimes play some demanding games, do some amateur video editing and the CPU does that extremely well! It's been almost 3 years of usage and that CPU is still fast and smooth just like the day i bought it. I can highly recommend core i5 and core i7 CPUs for longevity and strength. On the other hand, you won't get anything better right now than i7-7700k, because any better variants cost much more. Overall, IMO a Core i7-7700k will be a great choice.

Crumpet 1

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Echoing the statements above.

7700k is currently the gaming king.

If processors continue on the current trend then your processor will still be #75-80% effective in 5 years time.

If processors make a large leap forward due to the competition brought by AMD vs Intel, and the move to 10nm and 7nm processes, your processor could be made "redundant" for high end gaming within 2-3 years.

But that's computers!

iamacow

Admirable

As long as you find use for it. Heck I just took down a Pentium 2 server this year and it worked fine. it just was too dated to be used anymore.

In the past i5's and i7's have been viable for a good 4-6yrs depending on needs, I wouldn't expect anything different from the current i7's than those from the 4th, 3rd or 2nd gen. Ryzen is due out in the somewhat near future but no real word yet on real world performance or pricing.

There's no ryzen available that's been pitted against existing cpu's across a variety of games or other applications to properly place it's price/performance. It's really no different than intel, it will mean a new cpu, a different motherboard, a reinstall of windows, ddr4 ram. Everything you'd upgrade to run intel you'd be doing for ryzen, at least intel is a known product in terms of price and performance.

Physically cpu's last for years, 7, 8, 10yrs. How long it serves your needs? No telling. Some people upgrade more often than others, there's no set 'rule' that makes sense to a particular group of users. If you like to play cutting edge AAA games you'll probably need a new gpu more often to keep up with the eye candy than someone who's happy running world of warcraft or cs:go.

How long will your cpu remain viable, hard to say. Games in 2 or 3yrs haven't been released yet, they could be really well optimized or they could be the new 'crysis' or 'bf1' and run cpu's into the dirt. You could have a game next year that's more cpu demanding than one released 2-3yrs from now.

Solution