How Microsoft Cortana Improves Upon Siri and Google Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
As a Windows Phone adopter I am always happy to see these developments. WP8 is my favorite mobile platform and I continue to recommend it to everyone despite a few shortfalls. It is my hope that the shortcomings are quickly addressed as more people adopt the platform.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Yes, Cortana is from Halo.

Nice article. I am very excited about Cortana and will be curious as to how well it works. I've decided to update to WP 8.1 via the Developers Preview program and am expecting the release any day now....

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Nice article, really shows how much voice assistance really has evolved over the years. I would be interested in seeing a version for desktops, and how the combined use would effect the performance of the service. Having a service that uses the same dataset to understand my voice while pulling relevant information based on my platform would be really interesting.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Is Cortana come from Halo??
The entity is based on the Halo character. Owned by Microsoft, I believe.

Yes, the personal assistant to Master Chief. Many of Cortana's voices are also voiced by Jen Taylor and I believe eventually most of them will be.

Nice article, really shows how much voice assistance really has evolved over the years. I would be interested in seeing a version for desktops, and how the combined use would effect the performance of the service. Having a service that uses the same dataset to understand my voice while pulling relevant information based on my platform would be really interesting.

Some of this intelligence will come to Bing in the coming days -- I'm not exactly sure which parts, but some of the inference aspects at least.

Looks like they've set their goals right, let's hope they can deliver the execution similarly well. Once someone else has already done it, you have to show up with something significantly better to become noteworthy.

jrizzz

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Very nice article. I like the idea of Microsoft incorporating Cortana in their smartphones. Most inportantly, it seems they have tried to improve on the current technology and will probably only get better. Plus unlike Siri, Cortana is actually a real character derived from the Halo series. Master Chief would be proud.

levite

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
Great article. I have read many news about Cortana but this write-up is the most comprehensive and detailed. I see Cortana way above Siri and Google Now and is leaning towards great waves for WP.

salad10203

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
5.) Cortana APIs

This is the big one for me. I might mess around with it myself. Too bad Microsoft has shat the bed with its "App Store" so far.

rulejunior

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Yeah uh uh ok, lets see what happens when Cortana suddenly goes rampant and your phone tries to murder you out of madness. Have fun, and just remember in cases like this, have Chief on speed dial

shriganesh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
There is a reason, Siri and Google Now don't provide access to APIs. As Google Now has almost every app permission. If they were to open up the APIs for Google Now, other apps can simply access Google Now permission and read / transmit almost everything Google Now has within it.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Microsoft is the fastest follower in the industry. Kudos to Microsoft for developing what has already been developed and then spinning it as new tech.

Though I hope we can get Cortana with full body shots.

Anyone remember those stripper viruses that would add some naked chick dancing around on the bottom of your screen, and is also some horrible virus.

I want that with Cortana for my Window's 8 computers.

I mean... she's technically already naked. and if not naked, wearing a skin tight swim suit, which is basically what movie-grade strippers are, so same dif.

I think they should offer a male version though, call him Coltan or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.