How Microsoft Intends To Go 'Passwordless' With Hello And Passport Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be fine for normal users. But for people who really truly want high end encryption/security then the password is still going to be the dominant type of security. I have a hard time trusting new security programs like this until they are 90-100% proven to work well.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think there will be a move to no passwords, and use a key instead. Personally, I welcome never having to enter a password again and allowing Microsoft to manage all my passwords as some complex gibberish that it automatically enters when I use a service.

Biometric security is implicitly insecure. You can easily duplicate someone's fingerprint, face, voice (just added to Lollipop), or iris with a photo or recording. The only way to make it secure is to have another person next to the machine verifying that it's a living, breathing person whose biometrics the device is reading, not a photo or recording or some other duplicate.

Also, I'm skeptical about the reliability of iris scans. I was in the government's NEXUS program (fast lane between the U.S. and Canada) back when they used iris scanners at the airport. It works well for some people, but is problematic for others. I always had to take off my glasses, use my fingers to hold both my eyes wide open, and the machine would still take 3-5 tries before it recognized me. My experience must not have been unusual because they've since gotten rid of the iris scanners and replaced them with fingerprint scanners. I've never had a problem getting recognized by those.

loggert

Reputable
May 3, 2015
Once your fingerprint is hacked from some store's database you will never be secure again. Never. That is why biometrics are not secure and not used in any high stakes applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.