How much Better will Windows 7 Perform Compared to Vista?

Performance gain will be negligible... some people say Win 7 "feels" faster... but so far as I know most benchmarks are showing it to be on par with Vista. You'll more performance out of newer hardware than you will out of a newer OS.

Noobster15

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Then what if you were to install Windows 7 onto a older Vista PC that never really performed all that great with Vista.

Would it have a noticeable improvement in performance compared to having Vista installed? (Lower Boot times, more responsiveness)

Yeah, I think my laptop is a lot faster, but it's basically a very similar OS. feels faster I should probably say. Same drivers for both so I wouldn't imagine performance would be much different. It sure loads a heck of a lot faster. Yeah I'd say responsive too.

I think the big difference will be newer technologies will be optimized for Win7, like SSD's and DirectX11.

Once DX11 is in full effect, both Vista and W7 will benefit, so there wont be a huge advantage in gaming. Theyve setup a more paralellised usge in W7 in 2D that allows for faster 2D usage, and is why its snappier, as having several apps , when cued, dont have to wait when mulitasking, as more than 1 is actually being able to process at a time

cybermange

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I would like to see a similar test being made on a Netbook with total focus on productivity, witch I think is more interesting than testing Windows on a super rip. I think, if Windows 7 have speed advantages it will be more obvious on a slower computer, and on a rig that Windows 7 claims to have advantages on