How much breathing room does a graphics card need?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I am laying a graphics card flat on its side with an extension cable. I was wondering how much breathing space the graphics card needs to stay cool. Basically there is a corner of the box I am going to install the graphics card which is a low profile GTX 1050ti from MSI. I have the low profile bracket installed so it is quite short and doesn't take up a lot of room. Basically I was wondering if I screw the extension card into the bottom of the box and then the metal bracket to the back side of the box would that allow enough space?

The graphics card is elevated from the floor of the box by a couple millimeters and the back of the card where the fans pull air from is away from the right wall by an inch or two. There is plenty of room for the fans to exhaust the air since the other sides are free and the card is laying flat on its side with the fans faced upwards. My only concern is that the graphics card top is flush with the wood and I'm wondering if that at all would be a problem because of ventilation and stuff.

The back and front of the graphics card are free but the top of the graphics card will be right up against the wood. Should I elevate the graphics card a little bit or would that be fine for long term use? I could drill some holes into the box but that will ruin the stability and rigidity of the box since it is a custom all in one case I am making. How should I go about this? Many thanks in advance!

Solution

I need a picture because I can't really imagine the whole setup.

Quick answer is make sure it has some clearance where there can be a nice flow of air (the stronger the flow of air the smaller the clearance can be).

Solution
Why guess or ask questions when this is something you can test for yourself? Build the computer then stress test it. If the card doesn't get too hot- it doesn't need more breathing room, question answered. If it does get too hot, question answered. Remember, we strangers on the internet can only give generic answers, your specific set up won't always react according to those general answers.

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I did as advised and got some short pieces of MDF wood which I screwed to the case and then screwed to the graphics card to separate it completely from the case. It now has sufficient breathing room. I checked the temps and they are doing fine. Thanks for all the help!