How much can I overclock an i5 7600k?

Vaggelis69

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Hello friends!

I would like to know how much and how to actually overclock my i5 7600k.
Any info is useful!
My 7600k is sitting on a Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3, cooled by an Arctic Freezer 33, and paired with an Asus gtx 1070 dual oc.
I think my CPU is currently turbo boosted to 4.2GHz, but you know, more is always better haha.

urbancamper

Distinguished
The i5 7600k gets pretty warm when overclocked. That Arctic Freezer33 is not a very good heatsink. Possibly you can do 4.4ghz. I don't think you should take it any higher with that heatsink. The max temp on the cpu(TJmax) before it starts to throttle down is 100c. Generally speaking it is not a good idea to run the cpu above 80 on a constant basis. I think Toms recommends 75c.

urbancamper

Distinguished

You must have missed the fact that his cooler is crap. No way can he go any higher safely then 4.4ghz. Any higher and he will be putting that cpu in the hot zone.

urbancamper

Distinguished

Yes I understand this. My point however is that while it is technically possible to reach 5.0ghz, doing so on that cooler would fry the cpu. Or at the very least have it constantly throttling. You know as well as I do those cpus run hot. I would think you have to take into account what he is working, with when you mention the maximums. Not doing so is in my opinion irresponsible.

Vaggelis69

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Hmm I lowkey understand now that I need a good cooler but also rng by my side, could you guys suggest an "ok" cooler, either air cooler or maybe I could take the leap and go for a liquid one. Sorry for the late answer, was hospitalized and had no access to the internet.