[SOLVED] How much can my 970A-DS3P Gigabyte motherboard handle for overclocking?

mcnevin75

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
So I have been messing around with overclocking my 6350 FX on my 970A-DS3P Gigabyte motherboard. I was running it at 4.6 ghz from 3.9 at 1.41 volts. I noticed a bit of heat coming from my my VRM heat sink. I was able to touch it without burning my hand, but get seem to find the actual temp. So I don't think it has a sensor for it. So my question is to anyone that knows, does 4.6 ghz at 1.41 volts seems fine for this motherboard and CPU? Please get back to me someone, really don't wanna fry my motherboard. My CPU is always under 60c so I know the cooling for the CPU is fine. Just worried about the VRM.

Solution
You ought to be worried about the VRMs. This motherboard, with its rather anemic 4+1 power phase design, is only suitable for mild overclocks. With a UD3P, you could have been more aggressive. The DS3P and D3P aren't even generally on the recommended list for 970 motherboards on which to run 125W CPUs at stock.

You're already starting with a 125W CPU and while this board is far better than some of the budget AM3+ motherboards, the VRMs plus the fact that this motherboard is quite old at this point are cause for concern.

If you're doing this as a fun project with an older PC that you're not using anymore, go ahead and play around. If this is your main rig, given the design and age, I wouldn't be comfortable doing anything more than...

MurdyPlay

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
sure, you can overclock amd cpu. Overheating caused because you put too much voltage (yes if you have too much voltage and cpu and it has 0% usage, belive it WILL overheat

MurdyPlay

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
sure, you can overclock amd cpu. Overheating caused because you put too much voltage (yes if you have too much voltage and cpu and it has 0% usage, belive it WILL overheat
also, good temperatures for vrm is 0-130c*. More can cause solder to melt (around 155 if Pb solder used) and around 190 if regular solder

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You ought to be worried about the VRMs. This motherboard, with its rather anemic 4+1 power phase design, is only suitable for mild overclocks. With a UD3P, you could have been more aggressive. The DS3P and D3P aren't even generally on the recommended list for 970 motherboards on which to run 125W CPUs at stock.

You're already starting with a 125W CPU and while this board is far better than some of the budget AM3+ motherboards, the VRMs plus the fact that this motherboard is quite old at this point are cause for concern.

If you're doing this as a fun project with an older PC that you're not using anymore, go ahead and play around. If this is your main rig, given the design and age, I wouldn't be comfortable doing anything more than getting the base clock up to the 4.2 GHz turbo. In truth, if this were my PC and I couldn't easily upgrade it, I'm not sure I'd even overclock it at all given these components. And that's before even knowing what the PSU is; if you don't have a rock-solid PSU, that's another reason to avoid this.

TLDR: If you need this PC to live for a while, I wouldn't bother with overclocking.

Reactions: mcnevin75
Solution

mcnevin75

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018

If you're doing this as a fun project with an older PC that you're not using anymore, go ahead and play around. If this is your main rig, given the design and age, I wouldn't be comfortable doing anything more than getting the base clock up to the 4.2 GHz turbo. In truth, if this were my PC and I couldn't easily upgrade it, I'm not sure I'd even overclock it at all given these components. And that's before even knowing what the PSU is; if you don't have a rock-solid PSU, that's another reason to avoid this.

TLDR: If you need this PC to live for a while, I wouldn't bother with overclocking.
Thanks man helped a lot appreciate it.