News How Much CPU Does the GeForce RTX 3080 Need?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

newbuilder333

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Is anyone concerned about only having 10 Gb RAM on the 3080? The Watchdogs system requirements already call for 11 Gb at 4k ultra. Will this be offset by the fact that it is GDDR6X RAM and is so much faster?

newbuilder333

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Thanks for the info. I was just going by the requirements they released. Maybe a typo? It did have another typo in it where they put 1440K instead of 1440P.

Sep 17, 2020
So I guess that time back in 2014 when I bought the Intel Core i7 4790K was one of the better purchases in my life so far? Let's I want to play modern games like Control or Metro Exodus, who really push graphics forward, and still be able to play that on 60Hz framerates. Judging from these results, I could just replace my RTX 2080 with a RTX 3080 and continue gaming on 4K for the next 3 to 4 years?
That seams like a steal and makes me wonder why on earth anyone would want to upgrade, besides hardcore gamers that really need higher framerates for any reason.
You can correct me if I'm wrong here, but as a casual gamer that likes his eye candy, that's what I'm taking away from this article.

Reactions: newbuilder333

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
So I guess that time back in 2014 when I bought the Intel Core i7 4790K was one of the better purchases in my life so far? Let's I want to play modern games like Control or Metro Exodus, who really push graphics forward, and still be able to play that on 60Hz framerates. Judging from these results, I could just replace my RTX 2080 with a RTX 3080 and continue gaming on 4K for the next 3 to 4 years?
That seams like a steal and makes me wonder why on earth anyone would want to upgrade, besides hardcore gamers that really need higher framerates for any reason.
You can correct me if I'm wrong here, but as a casual gamer that likes his eye candy, that's what I'm taking away from this article.

Depends on the games you're playing. With a 2600k, I'm pretty sure FS2020 is out of reach, and will require an upgrade. Even with an upgrade I still might be sitting at 30fps most of the time. Same as I do now in FSX/X-plane11.

Sep 18, 2020
Listen, I'm not trying to make a personal attack but this review is <Mod Edit>. You know damn well the most common gaming CPUs of the last 10 years. Most of them are not included here. In fact, you include 3 top tier current CPUs which obviously don't bottleneck anything. You could have spared 2 and just used a 10700K as a baseline. People who read this are thinking of upgrading their current gaming CPU. If you don't include every generation of i5 and i7 K series of the last 5 years you are wasting your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Can it be concluded that 8 cores is the minimum to get most out of this new GPU (with least bottlenecks)? :unsure:
From the article: "If you're thinking about purchasing the RTX 3080, we still maintain that having a good CPU is important, meaning at least a six-core Intel or AMD Ryzen processor."

Other articles have indicated that six cores can be a problem in certain games. The 3080 however may have blown that out of the water.

Neither the 10600K or 9600K OC to 5ghz was included here, but I think it could be assumed from reviews with a 2080ti, they would be sitting at the top of the overall gaming charts hanging with the 9900k and 10900k, when paired with a 3080..

nictron

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Appreciate the review and gives interesting insight as I am on a i7-5775c running at all core 4.2 GHz.

It really shows that going for the 3080 is not the only thing that needs to be done it would be better to upgrade the whole system.

What I would like to do is run all games at 120Hz capped with lightsync (ULMB) for a butter smooth experience all the time. Looks like the 3080 is the card that can achieve that feat with the right CPU.

Some saving to do!

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
Comparing the 4th gen i7 to the 10th gen i3 just shows you how little improvement 6 generations have made. Most framerates are only 33% more on the latest i3... even though the core/thread count is exactly the same.

McGaz

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
Thanks for this. It has confirmed to me to go the full upgrade from my i7-4790k.

I just hope that the new Ryzen Zen 3 topples the Intel top CPU's as this was a reminder that, despite all the positivity with the Zen 2 chips, Intel is still a fair amount better for games.

If I'm going all out, I'd like the Zen 3 to be the top tier. Only a few weeks to wait for the announcement now...

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
Thanks for this. It has confirmed to me to go the full upgrade from my i7-4790k.

I just hope that the new Ryzen Zen 3 topples the Intel top CPU's as this was a reminder that, despite all the positivity with the Zen 2 chips, Intel is still a fair amount better for games.

If I'm going all out, I'd like the Zen 3 to be the top tier. Only a few weeks to wait for the announcement now...
Since the 3080 already hits its limit at 1080 ultra...what's the point?!
Even if ZEN 3 topples intel in gaming how are we going to find out?!Run games in 480p?!
1080 medium shows intel to be about 20% ahead so ZEN 3 would have to improve by that amount all around not just in a specific use case just to be as fast.

McGaz

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
I currently play at 1440p, so I think I'll benefit from both an improved CPU and GPU. The rumours are that the IPC on Zen 3 may be 10-15% faster than Zen 2, so that should make them about the same individually but obviously the Zen 3 will have more cores.

I certainly don't need the upgrade, but I'm at the age where I have a bit of disposable income and haven't upgraded for a number of years, so why not treat myself :)

Comparing the 4th gen i7 to the 10th gen i3 just shows you how little improvement 6 generations have made. Most framerates are only 33% more on the latest i3... even though the core/thread count is exactly the same.
33% more per core/thread performance from ... well, theoretically it's six CPU generations! In reality, it's two new architectures:

Broadwell (which never really mattered on the desktop)
Skylake (which is the core architecture for 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th Gen desktop CPUs)

But that's party of the problem of course. Intel has been adding cores but not improving its architecture on the desktop for the past five years. Next year's Rocket Lake and Alder Lake will be the first truly new CPU architectures for Intel desktops (not HEDT) since the Skylake launch!

Reactions: newbuilder333

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
The article mentions that the 4770K is overclocked, but does not mention what speed it's running at. It could be anywhere from 100 Mhz extra to 1 GHz+ extra, so just saying that it's OC is nearly useless info...

The article mentions that the 4770K is overclocked, but does not mention what speed it's running at. It could be anywhere from 100 Mhz extra to 1 GHz+ extra, so just saying that it's OC is nearly useless info...
Always good to RTFA:

"All of the systems are running at stock settings but with XMP memory profiles activated. However, the old Z97 board applies an all-core clock of 4.3GHz, even at stock settings. It's a bit of a quirky motherboard, and the BIOS was finicky enough that I just left it alone. Basically, even though it says 4770K, treat these results as being representative of a stock-clocked Core i7-4790K. If you actually have a stock clocked 4770K, or something like an older i7-2600K, your performance will be even lower than what we're showing here."

Why not just put 4.3GHz everywhere? Because then it makes the chart labels look uglier and I figured people who cared enough to ask would be able to figure it out from the text. (Hint: search for 4770K, or GHz, and you'll find the above paragraph.)

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
You need a Thunderbird X45 or W2200KS. Nah just playin. You need a 2700x or above or a 8700k OCed 5Ghz and above to take full advantage of the 3080 and 3090 and 3090Ti and what not.😲💯🖐☮

FiLiNuX

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
"Ummmm. Those older CPUs you mentioned, saying they weren't going to be fast enough. I'm not sure if you bypassed the reason or overlooked it. The RTX 3080 is PCIe Gen4. Those older CPUs are PCIe Gen2. Not Gen3, but Gen2. That's a HUGE difference. "
Ummmm. Those older CPUs you mentioned, saying they weren't going to be fast enough. I'm not sure if you bypassed the reason or overlooked it. The RTX 3080 is PCIe Gen4. Those older CPUs are PCIe Gen2. Not Gen3, but Gen2. That's a HUGE difference.
Wrong. The lowest CPU tested the 4770K on a Z97 mobo DID have PCI-E Gen 3 same as many of the newer CPU/MOBO combos. Im sitting by one running right now.

Sep 19, 2020
If we extrapolate out to the RTX4080 or RTX5080, could we assume that we could be playing 4k120hz on our 2600k's? Just saying we may see a surge in zombie rigs, back from the dead in a few years.

I have an X79, Xeon 2690, 8 core system currently parked. I was planning to push my RTX 2060 from my 3900X pc so I could offload it as a working system to fund the move to RTX 3080, but maybe I'll vacuum bag and store it for the next gen 🆒.

On the other hand, I'm hoping with Nvidia acquiring ARM, any future GFX cards will come with a standalone console type option as well as PCIE interface.

If we extrapolate out to the RTX4080 or RTX5080, could we assume that we could be playing 4k120hz on our 2600k's? Just saying we may see a surge in zombie rigs, back from the dead in a few years.
Anything the 2600k can run at 120FPS, it can run at 120FPS,
if you have to use 480p today to get 120 you will be able to hit that at 4k with a new card,if you can't hit 120FPS at any res today you won't be able to in the future either.