How Much Did Blizzard Spend On StarCraft II?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarko90

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Doesn't matter when SC2 is going to be released 3 times and there will be more than enough morons who will buy the 2nd and 3rd installments....oh and of course come the expansions, I'd guess at least 2-3 of them, if not more, Blizz love to stretch the lifespan of their retail games and their new graphics engines.... 100mil is a drop in the ocean for the company raking in the revenues from World of Warcrack...

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
morons... lol.

clearly this is going to be one of the best games in the genre and will be worth the money. I don't know why people complain that's it is 3 separate parts. It will be so much game content.

prozium42

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
[citation][nom]zarko90[/nom]Doesn't matter when SC2 is going to be released 3 times and there will be more than enough morons who will buy the 2nd and 3rd installments....oh and of course come the expansions, I'd guess at least 2-3 of them, if not more, Blizz love to stretch the lifespan of their retail games and their new graphics engines.... 100mil is a drop in the ocean for the company raking in the revenues from World of Warcrack...[/citation]

I wish people would understand what they read. Starcraft 2 is releasing with FULL multiplayer and editor capabilities along with a campaign that makes the original tremble. Why is there two more EXPANSIONS after it for the respective other races? So that each race gets a full story, a massive experience. If you just play multiplayer(as i know many do), then you won't have to buy the other installments.

Its like the difference between Warcraft III and its Frozen Throne expansion, little difference in that the campaigns simply focus on one race each with the others getting cameo missions.

G

Pocket change to blizzard couple of months wow subs for deveoplment ;s.
Not going to buy it im afraid lack of lan play and stupid idea to split the game and monitise it even more, 1 lot of development money for 3 games then they will probably start charging for maps, Bobby Kotick biggest software destroyer on the planet, only worried about monitising the whole game experience they better not do this with diablo 3, ill seriously head hunt the guy.

G

@aaron92

so when the cracked LAN comes out your going to buy the game and then download the crack, or just not going to buy the game? weak.....

aaron92

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]crackittobuyit[/nom]@aaron92so when the cracked LAN comes out your going to buy the game and then download the crack, or just not going to buy the game? weak.....[/citation]

Blizzard use to be a great company, ever since Activision partnered with them, their game marketing and design has been all about maximum profits at the cost of game quality.

I'm not feeding the greed machine.

hydric

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
most poeple are 100% complete idiots. They are not releasing the game 3 times. come july 27th the game will be release 100% followed by 2 expansions. ALl blizzard games in the past have come with an expansion other than diablo 1 and warcraft 1. I dont see what the big deal is. They are doing what they always do. However, not having LAN is lame.

nekoangel

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
[citation][nom]prozium42[/nom]I wish people would understand what they read. Starcraft 2 is releasing with FULL multiplayer ... along with a campaign that makes the original tremble. Why is there two more EXPANSIONS after it for the respective other races? So that each race gets a full story, a massive experience. If you just play multiplayer(as i know many do), then you won't have to buy the other installments. Its like the difference between Warcraft III and its Frozen Throne expansion, little difference in that the campaigns simply focus on one race each with the others getting cameo missions.[/citation]
starcraft2 FAQ
How will the expansion sets impact multiplayer gameplay?

The expansion sets will add new content to each race for use in multiplayer matches. This could include additions such as new units, abilities, and structures, along with new maps and Battle.net updates.
If I buy StarCraft II but don't buy any of the expansion sets, will I still be able to play online?

Yes. This will work similarly to Warcraft III and the original StarCraft, which maintained separate online gaming lobbies and ladders for expansion set players and players with the base Warcraft III or StarCraft.

Yes what you are getting is potentially a much more fulfilled single player experience, yet as of this time if you are serious about multi player you will have to buy each expansion and because Blizzard now requires their permission first before a SC2 tournament is held and the lack of lan the user will have to use their own account which they have all expansion to be able to compete in the tournament.

And there are three factions in Warcraft III so following your logic there would have to have been two expansions.

aaron92

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Hydric...I know Blizzard needs to make money, they don't need to maximize their profits if they are treating this like an art and enjoy creating quality games instead of inserting X number of micro-transitions to milk the game into the ground, or not Including LAN play? That is just ridiculous.

(P.S. They were doing fine before partnering with Activision)

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
[citation][nom]aaron92[/nom]No LAN = No buy. I'll just wait for a crack LAN, Bobby Kotick has the worst future set for Blizzard.[/citation]

Same mate, no LAN no LOVE~
PC game for 60 bucks is a lot for me

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
100 million on THAT? LOL that shows a buck doesn't go far. The concept was already there and it almost looks the same as the first one. I'm not buying this game LOL

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I for one am looking forward to SC2 alot, from blizzard i have come to expect great things always extremely polished gameplay and visuals that scale from looking ok on low end computers to great on high end ones. on the development front I'd also be curious to see how much they have spend on keeping wow updated and full of good content. i bet that would in and of itself dwarf SC2 costs but have obviously more than paid for the initian investment.

to the haters on multiple expantions... all blizzard games have expantions and so far they have at least to me been more than worth the money in entertainment value out of the box. i really don't think it'd be much different even if activition wasn't involved.

as for no lan... whiel this sucks i bet there will be cracks and i'll probably be installing this myself if it happens but until then its not goign to be that rediculous to stay connected to internet to lan. i mean i can play starcraft the origional on battlenet right now over a 3g phone connection tethered to a old laptop with 1 bar without lag so i think that part is seriously being blown out of proportion

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
So, once they recoup their $100mil, will they add back in LAN support?

Of course, if they don't make back their $100 mill (for some unforeseen reason, most likely involving Activision upper management), will they blame their own stupidity or piracy? "If only we had taken out the single player campaign, and forced everyone to play multiplayer on Battle.Net, we could have saved the company".

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]anondude[/nom]Don't they make $100M per month just off WOW?[/citation]

probably more than that but corporations have to justify the cost of everything they do, hence the hefty $60 price tag on this game which I will not pay. I'd pay 29 for it.

If they sell 10 million copies at $60 each.
that's
10,000,000 X $60 = $600,000,000

Take the profit and subtract the cost of making it:
$600,000,000 - $100,000,000 = $500,000,000

If the sell ten million copies thier NET profit will be 1/2 a billion dollars but this game will sell world wide and likely more than 10 million. Also... This is just the wings of liberty game. Soon enough the other expansions will come out. with only a slight increase in the cost of making those as well. You are likely talking over a billion dollars in net profit.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Pumping unlimited money into things doesn't make them great, if anything it creates hype that is impossible to live up to. There is a balance tho. Games need a certain budget to develop them, too little then features get left out or don't work properly. I guess tho that living up to the hype and your other titles and the cash cow WoW provides means that your gonna take things slowly and make sure everything is perfect. I wonder if they ever hope to regain their investment?

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]zarko90[/nom]Doesn't matter when SC2 is going to be released 3 times and there will be more than enough morons who will buy the 2nd and 3rd installments....oh and of course come the expansions, I'd guess at least 2-3 of them, if not more, Blizz love to stretch the lifespan of their retail games and their new graphics engines.... 100mil is a drop in the ocean for the company raking in the revenues from World of Warcrack...[/citation]

Uhh, the 2nd and 3rd game ARE the expansions.

Status
Not open for further replies.