Question How much difference are reasonable for different brands of same spec graphics cards?

deskman1234

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
I checked both graphics cards have same spec from clock speed to pci express speed.

BrandMSIZotac
NameGT 710GT 710
Core Clock954MHz954MHz
CUDA Cores192192
Memory1600MHz1600MHz
Memory Size1GB1GB
Bus Width64-Bit64-Bit
Memory TypeDDR3DDR3
InterfacePCI-E 2.0 (x8)PCI-E 2.0 (x8)
Driver version419.35419.35

But Zotac is 7%~9% slower than MSI in every benchmarks I used.

How much difference are reasonable for different brands of same spec graphics cards?

Last edited:

edgars.roga

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
You should look at the numbers given by the brands. If the GPU's have the same memory clock and cuda cores stock, only thing that should change would be the temps, as all the brands do theyr cooling different.

deskman1234

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
You should look at the numbers given by the brands. If the GPU's have the same memory clock and cuda cores stock, only thing that should change would be the temps, as all the brands do theyr cooling different.

The temperature was not matter, because Zotac operated at 60c.

Is Zotac generally low quality?

deskman1234

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Which exact cards are you looking at? If you have two different models of the same GPU, both running at the same frequency in the same test setup, they will perform the same.

It is GT 710 but I believe it should have reasonable quality even it is cheap.

BrandMSIZotac
NameGT 710GT 710
Core Clock954MHz954MHz
CUDA Cores192192
Memory1600MHz1600MHz
Memory Size1GB1GB
Bus Width64-Bit64-Bit
Memory TypeDDR3DDR3
InterfacePCI-E 2.0 (x8)PCI-E 2.0 (x8)
Driver version419.35419.35

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
And one performs ~8% worse than the other, using the exact same test setup? The only thing I could suggest is to monitor the GPU and memory clock speeds while benchmarking to ensure both are actually running at the speeds listed in their specs. Other than that I can think of no reason why those two cards would perform differently.

Apr 3, 2019
some cards just aren't as good because of the GPU wafer used -the higher end cards get the best cuts of the wafer. not even 2 cards of the same brand & model will perform 100% alike. the last 2 numbers designated ie GTX7'80' anything ending in 70 80 or 90 typically is the gaming version of that line. If You have a set budget £$ please tell Us & We'll find You a good deal! 0range.
[ps also it could be the GPU Cooler used]

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
some cards just aren't as good because of the GPU wafer used -the higher end cards get the best cuts of the wafer. not even 2 cards of the same brand & model will perform 100% alike.
If two cards use the same GPU (with the same number of cores/ROPs/etc enabled) and run at the same frequency, they will have the same gaming performance. They might overclock differently, use different amounts of power, etc. but they should perform the same in games.

Apr 3, 2019
Hi TJ it should in theory I agree -but real world doesn't, look its a 710 -so neither ground-breaking on release or now. I get the Cores, Rops, Clock, OverClock, GPU Cooler ..but V-Cards vary ..I've seen it before - I bought over 120+ V-Cards within an 8 Month period 1 year & benchmarked all of them. OK I'm no longer Server & Network Admin for a big Billion $ Company & I'm also disabled -so I can't work a 9-5 schedule, but I still build everyone I knows PC & fix them for cake or buns! . I've had 5 Toms HW accts including this 1.
ps My 1070 broke last year - So eventually they [Amazon] sent an adzact replacement which scored different on 3dmark. I knew it would, not much >1%

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Today's cards have complicated frequency boost algorithms that may very well result in two cards with the same specs having different performance. This is definitely the case with a 1070, but I don't think GT 710s are that smart so I believe they would simply run at their rated clock speed unless throttling.

I was specifically talking about cards that are actually running at the same frequency (regardless of what frequencies may be listed in their spec sheets). I have a hard time believing that two cards with the exact same GPU, verified to be running consistently at the same frequency in the same test setup, would produce different results (outside the usual margin of error in benchmarks).

Last edited:

deskman1234

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
I tested both GT 710s in my same PC. I uninstalled and installed same Nvidia driver version before test Zotac GT 710. I tried different Nvidia driver version for retest Zotac but the different driver made almost no difference.

Last edited:

deskman1234

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
I returned MSI GT 710 for a reason and bought Zotac, so I can't use GPU-Z for MSI. Also I didn't have GPU-Z idea during MSI time.

During a test, I checked Zotac runs consistent GPU clock and memory clock.

7ez.png

some cards just aren't as good

Did you have some 9% slower cards like this case?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Unless the other card was throttling or defective, or something else was going on with your test setup that messed with results, I have no explanation.

Edit: One possible difference that wouldn't be reflected in the printed specs is that the cards could use different DRAM chips, which could have different timings and therefore possibly impact performance. Just speculation on my part though.

Last edited:

deskman1234

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019

deskman1234

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Did you use consistent monitoring tools to determine the clocks the card was actually running at? If so, what were you using?

Cards spec'd the same are one thing, cards actually running the exact same clocks under the same workloads are another altogether.

Just because two cards shipped with (in theory) identical clock speeds, does not guarantee both were hitting those clocks in the same workloads.

As @TJ Hooker mentioned, two identical GPUs that are running at the same clocks, will perform the same. There might be some margin for error, but I would expect that to be in the 1% of your results - nowhere close to a consistent 9% difference.

Reactions: TJ Hooker