Question How much does GPU affect video work?

larsv8

Distinguished
I have a buddy who runs a Pro Sports team fan site.

He has media access and in his day to day, he put together things like video highlights, or small clips like post game media interviews, etc.

His computer, pretty old, has been crashing on him, so I thought I would surprise him an updated build. Unfortunately most of my PC build knowledge is gaming centric, and I don't know much about the video side.

Based on what I was reading, the 7700x performs very well on the processor side, and a gen 4 SSD helps with transfer times, etc. There is a killer microcenter bundle with that processor right now.

What I was unsure of was if the GPU is important in this type of work. I seem to recall hearing that NVIDIA has some sort of encoding feature, but was unsure which cards had it, or if it is even useful for this type of work.

Can anyone offer guidance?

larsv8

Distinguished
While video cards do have encoders, they're only useful for real-time streaming like to Twitch or something. That is, they're tuned towards speed, not quality. If quality is more important, CPU multithread performance is more important.

Outside of that, video cards may help with certain aspects of video editing, but that depends on the software.
So does that mean like just the integrated graphics are fine?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what he is actually doing and what software he is using.

Yes, a fast GPU can be used to scrub through the video as it is being edited. The frame buffer (VRAM amount) is very important for this.

Videos often still need encoding after they are edited from a much larger source file. You can't upload huge bit rate cinematic footage to youtube after all, has to be compressed.