[SOLVED] How much extra speed is a 400ghz boost to a CPU?

joojoomonster

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015
I currently have a i5 6600k overclocked to 4.4ghz...

I'm just wondering would there be any noticeable difference in speed if I get it to 4.8Ghz ? if so, what would be the %.. like 5% , 10%? etc?

Solution
yes, it will be about 10%, not very noticable though. If it will cost much more power to run it at 4.8, then I would keep it at 4.4ghz.
No its not.. Most games don't use more than 4 cores
That is generally what someone who accidentally bought a 7600K tells themselves... :)

Note just how well the i3-7100, i3-8100, and R3-1200 do in Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 5 CPU comparisons these days...(particularly in the minimum FPS levels) Compare a 7600K to an 8700K in BF1 or BF5 when both are running at 4.7 GHz with a good GPU. If your theories are correct, their frame rates should be quite similar.

Fast forward to 6:17 in the video (below) to note the 7600K's fairly dismal minimum FPS...; fortunately, the 2200G/R3-2200 are not shown, as the results would be even lower.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NdkShPrAKM

You, of course, are encouraged to buy whatever you feel is adequate. I'd refrain from recommending such CPUs to others for gaming systems unless quite sure on your conclusions...

If your theories are correct, you might be able to find some good i5-7600K /i3-8150K pricing deals these days as everyone else on the planet 'mistakenly' dumps them... :)

Here, the 7600K stands proud....at the absolute bottom of frame rate rankings....(thank goodness the R3-1200 results were not included)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke3OnFlOUnI

To the OP: an overclock might get you an extra FPS or two, but, it's time to start pricing either R5-3600/B450 combos or 9700K/Z390...(if not 9900K)

10700K/10900K now rumored to be arriving as early as April....(allegedly, the 9700K's successor, the 10700K, at least picks up hyperthreading again...; actual gaming performance is as yet unknown, of course, and, I place little stock in leaked results of Userbench, Geekbench, Cinebench, etc... much preferring Battlefield 5 results.)

joojoomonster

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015
That is generally what someone who accidentally bought a 7600K tells themselves... :)

Note just how well the i3-7100, i3-8100, and R3-1200 do in Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 5 CPU comparisons these days...(particularly in the minimum FPS levels) Compare a 7600K to an 8700K in BF1 or BF5 when both are running at 4.7 GHz with a good GPU. If your theories are correct, their frame rates should be quite similar.

Fast forward to 6:17 in the video (below) to note the 7600K's fairly dismal minimum FPS...; fortunately, the 2200G/R3-2200 are not shown, as the results would be even lower.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NdkShPrAKM

You, of course, are encouraged to buy whatever you feel is adequate. I'd refrain from recommending such CPUs to others for gaming systems unless quite sure on your conclusions...

If your theories are correct, you might be able to find some good i5-7600K /i3-8150K pricing deals these days as everyone else on the planet 'mistakenly' dumps them... :)

I can play Battlefield 5 on Ultra settings and get well over 100 FPS with zero lag.. with this 6600k cpu at 1080P. In fact I can play any game out now on Ultra settings and get at least 80+ FPS

Graphics card is the main thing that matters.. not the CPU when it comes to gaming.

you don't need anything beyond a 4 core CPU to play games.

Last edited:
you simple don't need anything beyond a 4 core CPU to play games.

If only this was true. If there is any game that absolutely needs more than 4 cores, its Battlefield 5.

The averages are decent, but you WILL see stutters with only 4 threads. Your low fps levels will suffer.

View: https://youtu.be/97sDKvMHd8c?t=484

Here is the 4 core 7600k vs an $80 Ryzen 5 1600. A 4 core with better significantly better single-core performance just gets destroyed by a 6 core with stronger multi-core performance.

A stock 1600 and 4.8ghz 7600k have similar averages but the 7600k 4.8 has lows of 55 and the 1600 has lows of 91. That is a massive bump in low performance and will make the game feel smoother and overall more competitive.

No matter what overclock you can do, it won't make up for the lack of hyperthreading and/or more cores.

That being said, the overclock will gain a noticeable performance bump,

4/8 is just 'fine' still, but to me 4/4 is pushing it, even though i own the best processor of all galaxies that is the 4770k, i noticed that going all with streaming on steam @ 1080p + voice chatter with some friends with the occasional tabbing out to check youtube/browse around has a small impact, so im guessing that a 4/4 would suffer a bit more in said conditions, but for gaming alone, its perfecly fine, i mean, my sis has my old phenom 965BE stock and everything of the gta 5 alikes runs perfectly fine, though she complains when listening to music on yt while playing, maybe its the 4/4 cores taxing out a bit

If you ever watch a guy called tech deals on YouTube, he even said recently if you have a 4 core 8 thread cpu like an i7, I think he was looking at the 7700k, he was showing it on a recent ghost recon game. He said he can't really show a graph, but that compared to CPUs with higher core counts and more threads, that even those are starting to have now microstutter issues and that you will want to start thinking about upgrading.

Just look at the Xbox and ps5 coming out this year and tell me 4 cores is enough. Those are both going to be 8 cores. I imagine that games are going to keep moving towards more cores more threads.

If you ever watch a guy called tech deals on YouTube, he even said recently if you have a 4 core 8 thread cpu like an i7, I think he was looking at the 7700k, he was showing it on a recent ghost recon game. He said he can't really show a graph, but that compared to CPUs with higher core counts and more threads, that even those are starting to have now microstutter issues and that you will want to start thinking about upgrading.

Just look at the Xbox and ps5 coming out this year and tell me 4 cores is enough. Those are both going to be 8 cores. I imagine that games are going to keep moving towards more cores more threads.
Agree. I moved from a 4670k @ 4.3GHz and know how badly quad core/thread was suffering. There are reviews where eve the latest hex core i5’s are suffering significant dips at times compared to higher cor/thread count CPU’s. I wouldn’t recommend a 6 c/t cpu let alone a 4 c/t.

That's why anymore I'm telling people I would not even bother looking at intel unless you go to the 9900k. It's not that the others are bad cpus, however, with Ryzen, AMD has effectively obliterated intels price/performance in the mid range since they are so close in single thread performance and have higher core counts and SMT enabled. Intel needs to figure that out or they are going to keep losing market share.

I realize AMD vs Intel is David vs Goliath, but you know how that fight went. And AMD these days appears to be slowly chipping away at Intel.

it feels smooth and playable for me.. you'll get more FPS with 6 cores.. but why do I need more FPS?
If you dont need more fps, why do you need more mhz? It may slightly help the lows. Of course at higher heat levels. If you dont need the performance gain, the extra 400mhz isnt worth the effort. And whether or not you can hit 4.8 stable is another question. My 6600k couldn't without more voltage then I was comfortable with.