Question How much gpu is needed to run 240hz?

FreeBee101

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
What aspect of gpu determines if you get 240hz?

Is it related to vram througput or something else. How would you try to calculate how many mhz you can run at? I'm assuming it's multiple factors.

Run what, the windows desktop?! Almost nothing, even igpus would be able to get that at 1080p.
Cyberpunk at 4k? All the GPU you can get and then some.

The refresh rate is a stat/rating that is given for any gpu and also any connector.
It's not enough for the GPU to be able to push that many frames, the connector (hdmi or dp) has to also be able to transmit that many frames and even the cable has to be good quality, and the specific version, to be able to handle it.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
First you need a CPU capable of calculating the the objects in each frame. This is sent to the GPU to add all of the visual effects you see on screen.
So the second part would be a GPU that is capable of adding all of the visual effects at the Quality setting you have selected.
Third would be a capable cable that connects to the fourth and last item, a capable monitor.
If one item is not able to do 240FPS the whole system's FPS is limited to that parts FPS/HZ limit.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
What aspect of gpu determines if you get 240hz?

Is it related to vram througput or something else. How would you try to calculate how many mhz you can run at? I'm assuming it's multiple factors.
Hey there,

So, there is some correlation between Hz and FPS. If your monitor is 240hz, then the max FPS it can display is 240 fps.

However, that's the easy part. The more complicated part is how those FPS are displayed, and what pushes your game FPS up that high. Both your CPU and your GPU determine how many FPS are hit. The connection is often misunderstood.

On a basic level, your CPU sends 'pre-rendered' frames to your GPU. Your GPU then takes that data, and does all it's magic, and displays it on screen for you to enjoy.

If your CPU is, for example, like mine - a Ryzen 5600x. It can pump out a certain amount of pre-rendered frames, and up to it's limit (let say for arguments sake it's 100 FPS/Hz). If I then have a really strong GPU like an RTX4090, then the GPU will always be waiting on my CPU to send pre-rendered frames faster than it's capable of, bacause my CPU is limited. If I was to add a CPU which can output more pre-rendered frames then my GPU can display more FPS and saturate the 240hz/fps lmit, potetially. Of course, this all depends on which games, as some are more CPU bound than GPU bound.

VRam does play apart. But not in terms of FPS per se. It's more to do with graphical quality. Having more Vram usually means you can turn up the eye candy more in games that can do that.

Reactions: Unolocogringo

TRENDING THREADS