How much is my system now worth?

thomasf94

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Looking to sell my custom built desktop that I built about 6 months ago, I have done some minor upgrades and would like to know how much I should list it for

I need to sell this because I now need a laptop, it was fun while it lasted though...anyway, I have it in Nvidia Surround with 3 exactly the same Asus 23" monitors.

I figure that I spent at least $2,000 for all of this brand new, that is including the screens. without the screens that is around $1600

here are the specs:

CPU: i5 2500k (Overclocked to 4.5GHz upon request)

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen 3

GPU: EVGA GTX 680 2GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

Hardrives:
Samsung 128gb SSD
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

PSU: XFX PRO Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750w PSU

Case: NZXT Phantom 410-White Mid Tower (added a few coolermaster blue LED fans)

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium, also a free upgrade to Windows 8 Pro

Will hate to see this thing go.. it handles games very well. but it is time to move on as I now need to go back down to a laptop for traveling purposes...

All of the components are in excellent condition, I clean my case and fans regularly

If you guys can give me any suggestions as to the best place to sell (I know craigslist is the best, but is a little difficult as i live in hawaii) and also a Price Quota, that would be awesome!

Here are some pics:

E2A125FB-AE0A-4908-BD84-22296BD40F87-5135-000004F429E34117_zps4e283f31.jpg

image_4.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image.jpeg

Solution
G
You can sell the OEM licence with the PC. As long as you have attached the licence to the PC and it is only installed on that PC, you are good to go. ( If you buy a dell or hp or acer and re-sell it, you can sell it as is with OEM windows on it! )

Also I would say you are bound to get at least 80% of what you paid on ebay!.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Its worth less than half of that $1600. Can't sell that Windows also.

However, there is a website called eBay that I've been selling on for many years and the stupidity of the buyers willingness to pay much more than market value there has never let me down.

If you play the cards right, I wouldn't be surprised if you recoup 75%-80% of your original costs.

thomasf94

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
You think its worth less than half of $1600? Are you kidding me? and what do you mean I can't sell that windows? I am selling this as a whole for now, if I can't, I will part it out later, and I know you cant sell OEM separately because it gets hooked to the motherboard
And the reason I want to see other suggestions besides ebay is because of the fees.

D

Deleted member 217926

A computer is just like a car. As soon as it's used it loses value. Generally about 30% for a nice build like that. So subtract 30% of the cost new. As said above you might get lucky but it might take 6 months of advertising it to get lucky. You have to find someone who wants that exact configuration.

thomasf94

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Agreed. But I do think since I have been upgrading it and I still have all the original packaging for all the components, and I have kept this thing very clean and like new, I think I can get more than half of $1600.. haha, at least over $1,000. I mean seriously...

finitekomos

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
You're not going to see that much thomasf, unless you end up selling it someone who doesn't know better. A good way to figure out what your computer is actually worth now, is to price up how much it would cost to build right now in its current configuration. then drop 30% because its used goods.

With respect to Windows, Windows licenses are not transferable, which is why you can not legally sell it with the copy of Windows that is installed. Of course you can delete your profile, uninstall apps and clear out your personal data, but that doesn't change the legality of the sale.

thomasf94

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Oh, ok. Thanks for the clarity on the windows OEM.

And yes of course, that's why I am probably going to shoot for ebay, and list it for around $1500 OBO for the desktop alone.

hoping to get the most $$ as I can

G

You can sell the OEM licence with the PC. As long as you have attached the licence to the PC and it is only installed on that PC, you are good to go. ( If you buy a dell or hp or acer and re-sell it, you can sell it as is with OEM windows on it! )

Also I would say you are bound to get at least 80% of what you paid on ebay!.

Solution

thomasf94

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

This is exactly what I had thought in the first place, thank you very much for the info!

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I think you'll make more by parting it out. eBay and Paypal fees aren't that bad depending on your sale. Buy-it-now with best offers have a lot less fees than regular auctions.

Moreover, the reason I recommended eBay is, because buyers there are very misinformed and do some really unconventional and irrational market choices for purchases.

Also, nobody cares how *clean* or *new* it is. Kelly blue book doesn't care about how you treat your car either, they care about maintenance, mileage, and model/make. That value is only to a enthusiast, and enthusiasts very rarely buy used parts online, because with even moderate searching online you can often some ridiculous deals and the lack of warranty...etc just isn't worth it. The people who buy used are...I don't know how to describe them, but they won't care about your treatment of it, they care about your feedback rating.

Also, remember how much its "worth", and how much you're going to "get" will be two numbers that will be far apart. After transportation, shipping, tax, commission fees...etc, the number will be a lot lower than you think.

So, as Moricon said and I said, if you know what you're doing on eBay, you may get rack up a great portion of the original cost which is a lot more than its worth.

thomasf94

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

This I agree with, you are exactly right, thanks for all the input and advice! I will probably part it out on ebay and craigslist