[SOLVED] How much is this historical GPU worth? [ E&S Lightning 1200 ]

• Thread starter Deleted member 2808222
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2808222

This is a graphics card that my father had in the past.
I couldn’t find this thing being sold on ebay or anywhere else on the internet. Is it a rare / unusual card? I have it listed for $30 on a Swedish site but I feel like I might sell it too cheap. Does anyone know the value of this graphics card?

Data sheet: ES.com

According to Specs.cs.miami.edu
List Price $4,196.00
Availability 06\1999

According to ES.com (Feb 2000)
US Price: $399.00
“E&S; Lightning 1200 is the entry-level product in Evans & Sutherland's lineup of 3D graphics accelerators. Based on the REALimage® 1200 chipset, E&S; Lightning 1200 is designed for professional users of CAD, modeling, DCC, and visualization/simulation applications.”

According to CGW.com (May 2000)
“New for the desktop Linux market is the E&S Lightning 1200LX, one of the first 3D cards developed specially for the burgeoning OS. According to Evans & Sutherland, the new board delivers to Linux users OpenGL graphics features that were previously available only on Unix and NT-based systems. The board sells for $489, and includes E&S's RealImage chipset, which enables features such as 24-bit Z-buffering, MIP-mapped texturing, anti-aliased lines, transparency, fog, and overlay planes.”

According to VTerrain.org
Evans & Sutherland:
mid-range to ultra high-end hardware
they used to have a card in the $100-$200 range, the RealImage 3000 / E&S Tornado
Harmony - standalone system, website doesn't say how much texture RAM
Rhythm II - graphics card, 16Mb texture, with PowerPC 603r for geometry acceleration
ESIG 5500 - "expandable to 64Mb on-line texture memory"
Ensemble - graphics card, up to 128Mb texture ("32 effective")

According to Spec.org
Price ? 998,000

View: https://imgur.com/a/N9DfO8y

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
How come for example a GeForce 2 Ultra selling for around $300 on ebay? The GeForce 2 Ultra card was released year 2000 and I believe the E&S Lightning 1200 comes from around that year as well. Their MSRP price is similar too.

List it for whatever you want, it will either sell or not. If it does not sell, lower the price till it does or you get sick or seeing it for sale. You may find a collector looking for a card for display or a collection, or a museum of PC parts. Check with some of the tech YouTubers they may want it for a background display.
D

Deleted member 2808222

for most people $0
for antique, a few $
How come for example a GeForce 2 Ultra selling for around $300 on ebay? The GeForce 2 Ultra card was released year 2000 and I believe the E&S Lightning 1200 comes from around that year as well. Their MSRP price is similar too.

Reactions: Fl1cks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I can sell a banana for $10,000 on eBay. It doesn't mean bananas cost $10,000 unless people actually start actually paying $10,000 for a banana.

USAFRet

Titan
Actual selling price?
Or Asking price.

An item like this is only worth what someone else will pay for it.
If someone has a real need for this exact ancient GPU, they would personally pay a lot.

To the rest of us? That is junk in a box in the garage.

List it for whatever you want, it will either sell or not. If it does not sell, lower the price till it does or you get sick or seeing it for sale. You may find a collector looking for a card for display or a collection, or a museum of PC parts. Check with some of the tech YouTubers they may want it for a background display.

Reactions: Fl1cks
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.