How much memory is good to use in %?

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hello. I looked at some similar threads, but couldn't find any good answer.

I love multitasking on a computer. For example, I might be playing, switch to browser to check on youtube, for example, where to go, switch back and so on.

I have 8GB of RAM, and on "idle" it uses roughly 30%. But I have my Google Chrome open all the time, as well as a few other programs. So, that totals to 45-50%. I also like to play BF4 and AC: Unity, which require a lot of memory (BF4 ultra, no AA/AF and AC:U low eat about 2.6 GB of memory; can't imagine how much the "ultra" would eat in AC: U). That totals to roughly 90% of the memory. The thing is, I can leave BF4 game, then switch to another server a lot of times while playing. So, I need my Chrome to be working all the time.

Is it OK that the memory works that hard? I have G.Skill Sniper series, and I bought it because I thought (and still think) that this memory is great for gaming. So, what do you think?

BTW, any advice on how to lower the temp on graphics card in AC: U?

Solution
For ram usage, as long as you don't hit 100% then your good. If you like multitasking, you may need 12 GB or 16 gb. As for your video card, you generally want to keep it below 80 C.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I'm asking it because I've seen on Newegg memory with coolers. It's overclocked, which makes it hot, but my memory should not be hot, or can it get hot while working at 90%? I meant this. I assume heat is bad for any computer part, so I don't want it to get hot.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Really? Kind of amazed. Thanks. So, I guess all my questions are resolved now. Everybody answered thoroughly, and I'll just pick a random guy or gal, because I can't say somebody answered better than others.