Question How much motherboard do I really need?

avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I'll be building a new intel system in a few months. I know Asus products get bashed these days for their QA/QC, but I've built 4 systems in a row that have all been Asus.

When it come to motherboards, how much do I really need? My current 12900k system us running the ROG maximus hero... I do some light overclocking, but nothing major.

I plan on getting the Ultra 9 285k and doing light overclocking, just as I usually do. When looking at the asus motherboards with the Z890 chipset, got me thinking of how high-end I need to go - and also how much $$$ I actually need to spend. No more than 64GB of DDR5 and 2 or 3 M.2 drives. 1 PCIe video card, etc etc.

Thoughts?

USAFRet

Titan
I plan on getting the Ultra 9 285k and doing light overclocking
I'm considering that same CPU.
+ 64GB RAM and 2x NVMe. Among other things.

Why OC?
It won't really get you anything beyond bragging rights.

This platform is so new that there aren't a lot of 'options' available.
All you really need is one with enough ports for your desired devices.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'll be building a new intel system in a few months. I know Asus products get bashed these days for their QA/QC, but I've built 4 systems in a row that have all been Asus.

When it come to motherboards, how much do I really need? My current 12900k system us running the ROG maximus hero... I do some light overclocking, but nothing major.

I plan on getting the Ultra 9 285k and doing light overclocking, just as I usually do. When looking at the asus motherboards with the Z890 chipset, got me thinking of how high-end I need to go - and also how much $$$ I actually need to spend. No more than 64GB of DDR5 and 2 or 3 M.2 drives. 1 PCIe video card, etc etc.

Thoughts?
You spent way to much on the motherboard you have right now at least 200 bucks to much. That could of went to a better video card or more M.2 storage.

For what to spend on the new boards can't say haven't seen any prices.

I've seen prices from 180 (micro ATX) up to I think 999; on pre-order.

3 or 4 micro ATX. The rest full ATX, 15 or 20 of them.

Many manuals available for download.

Walk down the various spec sheets like I've been doing for the last 2 hours.

Do you need dual Thunderbird? Single Thunderbird?

Tool-less this or tool-less that?

8 high speed USB ports rather than 4 or 6? On the back panel?

BIOS flashing without a CPU?

HDMI internal connections?

5 chassis fan connections?

etc, etc.

Maybe you "need" all of that.

I'd like to believe spending more money gets me higher reliability and freedom from headaches...........but I see no evidence of that. Does hope spring eternally?

By nature, do you think there is a strong correlation between price and satisfaction..."you get what you pay for"......that has been ingrained on consumers since Day One?

If you do...spend up to relieve your anxiety, even if it is a bogus idea. Why regret your purchase?

Last edited:
My last 2 have been the Strix E which is $500. I consider this to be a do everything board so I prefer it even if its overkill for me. Plus I'm 74 now so I never know which build will be my last. My currently planned New Year's build:

$ 160 be quiet! Silent Base 802 ATX Case Black BG039
$ 500 ASUS Strix E Z890
$ 589 Intel Core Ultra 9 285K
$ 120 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) RAM DDR5 6800
$ 200 Seasonic FOCUS V4 GX-1000, 1000W (or maybe a Corsair)
$ 300 Crucial T705 2TB PCIe Gen5 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
$ 27 Team Group T-FORCE DARK Air Flow M.2 2280 SSD Cooler TJ190002
$ 407 8 Noctua 14" fans plus spacers plus hub
$ 150 Noctua D15 G2 cooler
$1200 LG UltraGear 32" OLED Dual Mode 4K UHD 240Hz