[SOLVED] How much performance gain from single channel memory to dual channel?

Solution
There is not a single answer, depends a lot on the game. I have seen benchmarks showing over a 20% increase in FPS but on average it’s lower than this.

The more common issue I have seen though is stuttering, in more demanding games single 8gb RAM can suffer bad stuttering. Again it’s game specific.

I feel it’s disgusting that these OEM’s sell a laptop as ‘gaming’ and then cripple it with single channel RAM to save a few £/$.
There is not a single answer, depends a lot on the game. I have seen benchmarks showing over a 20% increase in FPS but on average it’s lower than this.

The more common issue I have seen though is stuttering, in more demanding games single 8gb RAM can suffer bad stuttering. Again it’s game specific.

I feel it’s disgusting that these OEM’s sell a laptop as ‘gaming’ and then cripple it with single channel RAM to save a few £/$.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021

I actually drop the option from oem getting 2 sticks ram and larger ssd, simply i get those for way cheaper

Jul 20, 2018
as sizzling said, it depends on your use case. you'll gain performance primarily due to added ram, not due to the fact that you'll be running dual channel. if you play games like warzone, battlefield 1, 5 or any other modern game then another 8gb stick will help a lot

Theoretically, transfer rate is doubled, so you want dual channel whenever you can especially if the motherboard and CPU can support it.

It is the same reason to get quad channel instead of dual, there is quite a difference when you double. It's like a street with one lane versus two, two lanes can flow better.

It is true if you browse web pages or run minimal tasks there may not seem like much of a difference, but with any performance task / game then a difference should be noticeable. Run any memory benchmark test and it will show quite a jump from single to dual channel.

Last edited: