[SOLVED] How much performance lost with TPU down?

cmjshaw

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
Just bought a Dell Inspiron 5402 with i5-1135g7. I was expecting a base frequency of 2.4GHz and was surprised to find it was just 1.38GHz. No mention of this in the marketing. I now know its because of TPU down. How much performance have I lost as a result? (significant? marginal?) Does the fact it can still boost to 4.2GHz mean it should still have the power when I need it and just idles more efficiently? I have bought it to run creative software that is typically more CPU intensive. Thank you!

Solution
I personally own an Inspiron 5000 series with an 8th gen i5. Any manner of significant workload will run it to 90+* and it will throttle back. The only time I see it hit it's "turbo" speed is short bursts while opening things and such.
Just the same it gets workable battery life while on the road, which is what we use it for.

My suggestion is that if this is a new (or new to you) machine, you are within a return period, and are not happy with the performance I would consider taking it back and trying something more powerful.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I personally own an Inspiron 5000 series with an 8th gen i5. Any manner of significant workload will run it to 90+* and it will throttle back. The only time I see it hit it's "turbo" speed is short bursts while opening things and such.
Just the same it gets workable battery life while on the road, which is what we use it for.

My suggestion is that if this is a new (or new to you) machine, you are within a return period, and are not happy with the performance I would consider taking it back and trying something more powerful.

Solution

cmjshaw

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
So I ran the passmark test and thankfully it scored above par for the processor. I am now satisfied that performance hasn't been compromised in comparison with standard CPU rating, which us what I was concerned about. I'd love something notably faster but its out of budget.
I guess this is like modern car engine volumes and vacuum cleaner power ratings (in Europe at least) - efficiency is increasing so the old markers of performance are becoming less and less relevant.
Thanks to everyone who responded.