Question How much performance would be gained with a new CPU?

Apr 20, 2022
I was curious ever since I heard these new leaks about the Ryzen 7000 series of how much performance would be gained with a new CPU. Obviously I know there aren't benchmarks out about the 7000 series but how much would something like say a Ryzen 9 5950x stack up against my current rig?

Specs:
EVGA FTW3 GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
Ryzen 5 3600XT
2x 8gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
600w EVGA 80+ Bronze PSU

If we went by AMD's press conference last week, Zen 4 has a 13% IPC improvement on average over Zen 3, but there's a huge swing between 1% and 39% IPC improvement depending on what application you're running.

Considering Zen 3 was basically a 20% or so improvement over Zen 2, we could probably guess Zen 4 will be at least 30% better than Zen 2. But it really depends on what you're going to run.

The maximum potential difference between CPU’s and what you actually get can be very different. For example if running 4K gaming on the pc you listed I would expect a cpu upgrade to offer little to no benefit as the limiting factor will be the gpu in most games. However, if running a game like cs go at 1080p or lower then a cpu upgrade should give an fps boost as that game is very cpu dependent but not that demanding on the gpu especially at low resolutions.

What is it you are doing that you find your cpu limiting?

Also, I would upgrade your psu to something better for running a gaming system with a 3070Ti.

Reactions: alexbirdie