[SOLVED] How much power is too much for my computer?

Jul 1, 2019
Im building a pc and it says the total wattage produced would be around 250~300 watts and I found a PSU (SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply) that was 450 watts. Is this too much, too little or the perfect amount for my build?

Solution
Supply and demand are 2 different concepts. A psu will only supply what's demanded of it, just like the 1000CCA battery in your car doesn't supply all 1000 amps to the car radio. Or the interior lights etc.

Ralston18

Titan
Produced? I believe that you mean required....

Components do not produce wattage - they need/require wattage.

Update your post to include all pc build components.

Add up the wattage requirements for all components and add 25%.

How close is that total to 450 watts?

You seem to have already done so but your 250-300 watt total just seems too low for most systems - especially if gaming and overclocking.

Most power supplies are at their peak efficiency at around 50% of their rated peak wattage. It's also NOT a good idea to continually run a power supply above 90% of its rated peak wattage.
I agree with @Ralston18. Your total wattage number sounds a little low. Please list out your system components. Seasonic is a great power supply brand.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psu calculators are only pas accurate as a) whomever is supplying the data on their end and b) how much data you supply. So what you need and what's recommended are often (almost always) different.

I don't go by actual used wattage, ever. I always go by absolute maximim possible. That includes any OC . Most gaming loads on a psu are 60-70% of that maximum, and psus prime area for thermals, power outputs, efficiency is in the 50-70% bracket. So taking absolute maximum, add a little headroom, like 50-100w, and that'll put gaming loads right where the psu likes them.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If your graphics solution does not require external power connections from the power supply, then a quality 450 watt PSU (like the one you've listed) is more than enough. In general, there's no real upper limit to power supplies for your system. Whether you have a 450 watt or 1600watt PSU, it will only put out what your system requires.

-Wolf sends