Question How much Power would my / a PC approximately actually use ?

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
I want to find out the power usage during normal and game time and therefore derive the electricity cost.

Parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/68BmCz

Usage: 2-3Hrs mid heavy Gaming

How much does it actually consume? Definitely not 550Watts. Also does my monitor really only use 70Watts? I mean it's wide and high freq. so it just baffles me, expected it to be in the 2-3 hundreds.

That pc is inadequate for such a high end monitor

Anyway, that system should have a 550 watt psu, even If it doesn't take that much juice for a couple of reasons.
  1. Power supplies are most efficent at the 50-80% usage mark.
  2. Sudden ramp ups of power, usually off the gpu can trigger over-current protection on lesser power supplies. The 3000 series is notorious for spikes of power, but the 2000 series has them too, just less violent spikes.
  3. Capacitors aging, and similar stuff makes a psu less and less powerful over the years. a powersupply that did 1000 watts in 2010, even if it still works is not guaranteed to give 1000 watts today.
  4. Room to grow is just better, for upgrades in the future and such.
  5. Most modern psus ramp down/turn off their fan on lower wattages, letting you have an overall quieter system.

Your monitor takes 70 watts.
Pixel count doesn't add much power needed, and while refresh rate does, it's not by that much.
What matters mostly is brightness.

PSU Watts does not calculate to actual watts used. What you need is a "Kill A Watt" electricity monitor. Plug it in between your wall plug and a power strip that has all of your gaming computer equipment plugged into it, i.e. the PSU, your monitor, even your internet hub if possible. Then monitor it during the time spans and usage scenarios you want. I'm pretty sure it has an averaging function but I haven't used one in many years. Around $40.00.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q="kill+a+watt"

I want to find out the power usage during normal and game time and therefore derive the electricity cost.

Parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/68BmCz

Usage: 2-3Hrs mid heavy Gaming

How much does it actually consume? Definitely not 550Watts. Also does my monitor really only use 70Watts? I mean it's wide and high freq. so it just baffles me, expected it to be in the 2-3 hundreds.
Well the 2060 is 160W so I would guesstimate around 250W during gaming, actually maybe a little less 200+ ish. You can just buy a £15 power meter though to get an accurate reading

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Well the 2060 is 160W so I would guesstimate around 250W during gaming, actually maybe a little less 200+ ish. You can just buy a £15 power meter though to get an accurate reading
Is there a way to derive the approximate wattage merely be measuring the sensors or the active specs (clock speed, frequency, voltage etc..)? I really don't want to buy a 15$ wattage meter that I won't use after one or two things.

Like are your 200 Watts estimation based on 100% usage?

Is there a way to derive the approximate wattage merely be measuring the sensors or the active specs (clock speed, frequency, voltage etc..)? I really don't want to buy a 15$ wattage meter that I won't use after one or two things.

Like are your 200 Watts estimation based on 100% usage?
Well was a rough estimate. 100% usage lets see:
160W GPU
65W CPU
hmm ok now it gets tricky ram disk drives fans and motherboard no clue really lets call it 25W
250W
pSU efficiency loss is what 15%?
280W?

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
I turned my gpu via gpu tweak tuner all the way down, as much as the program allows me to (since, yes I need a somewhat good gpu rather than igpu, but not at crazy levels):

Usage according to Taskmanager and gpu tuner tweaker II:

CPU: 13-18% (some things disabled brings lowest down to 9%)

GPU: 40-42% C
  • Clock: 990-870MHz,
  • Memory-Clock: 10002-12602MHz, Temp: 53-54C,
  • Memory usage: 1094MB,
  • Fan(s) 0 or 7 % (0db Option enabled in GPU tweak II, numbers appear in bursts ≈> low, high, low... )
Irrelevant but RAM: 9GB (2x8GB Sticks =16Gb total available).
Energy mode enabled, gsync off, what else can I do?

Last edited:
I turned my gpu via gpu tweak tuner all the way down, as much as the program allows me to (since, yes I need a somewhat good gpu rather than igpu, but not at crazy levels):

• Fan(s) 0 or 7 % (0db Option enabled in GPU tweak II, numbers appear in bursts ≈> low, high, low... )
Not sure. Turning down the brightness on the monitor would save some watts I imagine.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

What country are you in? In my last electric bill, I paid something like 9 cents per kWh and 300W for three hours a day would be something like $2.40 a month, so any savings are just savings off of that.