How much power?

commondork

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I'm looking to build a system with a Core 2 Duo 3GHz Wolfdale, a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard, 4GB RAM, 2 SATA HDDs, and a GeForce GTX 260. I have been searching for a case for days because I'm picky. Antec's Sonata III case comes with an EarthWatts 500W PSU. I like the case but I'm not sure the PSU will have enough juice for those components. Would this PSU be acceptable?

Here is a link to the power supply specs: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product1.php?id=NjU=

I'm ready to buy and any advice would be helpful; you guys know that feeling :wahoo:

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Should work but if you want to get a better psu then start building with a 720 BE and a 790 chipset motherboard, you should come out saving $30-40 to spend on a PSU.

Change to the 4870 1gb toxic if it's any amount less since it's better than the 260.

That Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU has 408watts available on the +12volt rails. That works out to 34amps and the most often quoted GTX 260 system recommendations are for 36amps. If you're not going to load up your system with extra HDDs, Blu-Ray players, etc., you should be OK with that PSU.

commondork

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I plan on using 2 HDD's for a while but will probably add a third drive in a year and if Blu-Ray players are reasonable I'd probably add one as well in the future.

I was looking at the BFG Tech LS-550 PSU which has 42A on the +12V rails. I think it could accommodate my system with the ability to add an extra HDD and Blu-Ray player in the future.

Maybe I should shift my question to a case similar to the Antec Sonata 3. Is there anything out there similar? I wish the case could be purchased without their PSU.

commondork

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Is there a reason why Newegg reports 34A for the +12V rails whereas Antec's website reports 44A available for the same PSU?

While each of the +12V rails can handle 17Amps (or 22Amps according to the Antec website) the max load of +12V1 and +12V2 rails can handle is 408watts. 408watts divided by 12volts gives 34Amps. It's possible an engineering change has raised the rating of each single rail from 17A to 22Amps. Without being able to see the full specs on the data label it's not possible to tell if the total combined wattage has also been raised. It's very possible it's still 408watts combined.

17-371-007-04.jpg

The OCZ 600W PSU that raybob95 has claimed has 72Amps +12V (72A x 12V = 864W) in fact only has 580W total combined +12V or 48Amps (580W divided by 12V = 48.3A)

Link to the OCZ data label http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-341-010-03.jpg
Link to the Corsair 650TX data label http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-139-005-10.jpg

edit; added Antec Earthwatts 650W data label http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-371-015-07.jpg
Max combined +12V rating is 540W or 45Amps

commondork

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Thanks for the replies. As far as cases go, I'm somewhat old school. I'm not a fan of the side windows or LEDs, etc. The case I currently have is an Antec SOHO from about 4-5 years ago. Unfortunately the front is made of plastic and the one of the clips has broken off (super glue is holding it on) and the clip on the washable air filter is also held on with super glue as well. The HDD bay screws have heads that break off extremely easily and the bay (even with the lock engaged) consistently comes loose and starts to slide towards the rear of the case. Plus it's just time for a change.

The case I'm looking for needs to be quiet, non-flashy, no annoying lights, and have great cooling. I'm sort of looking to build the system and forget about it other than it's usual cleaning. Front ports for USB are a big plus as well. I've looked at every Antec case and I can nitpick all of them about something. Maybe I just need to suck it up and decide on one.

WR2: Thanks for explaining how to compute all of the numbers. It makes figuring out a PSU choice much easier. I should have known that from PIER or RIPE or however you like to remember power, current, voltage, and resistance.