How much ram for a gaming server?

Christian8886

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Hi, I'm having trouble figuring out how much ram I need for a home server. It will function as a home server with the standard uses but the big memory eater would that be I want to also use it to host small game servers for me and my friends. These would only host around 4-8 people at a time. If I want something that has the ability to host this number of people for new AAA games that are fairly graphic intensive how much would I need? I'm trying to keep the price down, so could I get away with 8 gigs? Or is 16 needed? Does is ram speed or ddr4 vs ddr3 matter?

Lutfij

Titan
I would say 8GB's as minimum as a wild guess since we don't know which gaming title you're going to host. I'd ask you to try keeping it at 16GB if at all possible since most gaming servers tend to have quite a lot of ram allocated to them. A specs list for your proposed gaming server would also be good.

Christian8886

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015

At the moment there are only a few games I'm interested in having a private server on (csgo, minecraft, wow, ark) but I want to have enough ram for the situation where a new game comes out that is more demanding (fall out 76 maybe?) Although theres no way to know the requirements ofs games that have not been released. If we assume it's as demanding as the latest call of duty about what would I need?

I'm thinking of doing this in a mini itx build since I already have a case made for that size and am leaning towards the AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G