How much silicon paste?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:53:59 GMT, "GEO" Me@home.here wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:45:38 GMT, "Dorothy Bradbury"
><dorothy.bradbury@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
><snip>
>>o Thermal compound is a better heat transfer media than air
>>o So you simply need enough paste to fill the microscopic voids
><snip>
>>Plain heatsink compound will do fine, silicone free can be useful
>>as silicone technically can affect electronic components if it comes
>>into direct contact with them.
><snip>
>
> For what is worth, but in case someone finds it intersting. A while
>back, in a different group, a fellow that seems to know quite a bit
>recommended "a copper based anti-seize compound". He said:
>"you can buy a copper based anti-seize compound at any auto parts
>store; and for $5-6 it will do more cpu's than you will see in your
>lifetime!"
>
> Geo

Copperkote

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

>> For what is worth, but in case someone finds it intersting. A while
>>back, in a different group, a fellow that seems to know quite a bit
>>recommended "a copper based anti-seize compound". He said:
>>"you can buy a copper based anti-seize compound at any auto parts
>>store; and for $5-6 it will do more cpu's than you will see in your
>>lifetime!"
>>
>> Geo
>

> Copperkote

Gasket cement? May get a little sticky for removal. I just removed a hs
from a K6-450 that was glued on. It took lots of chiseling to get it off.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Randy Howard got up from the bar and shouted: :

> The fans are the same ones that will pay $200 a foot for audio
> interconnect cables.
>
> :)

Indeed, with gold plated connectors, and oxygen free cable, that when it
gets inside the boxes, runs along copper tracks, and up tin/lead solder
joints...

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:29:43 -0800, Ed Light wrote:

> "Black Shuck" <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote
>> Hell, even toothpaste performs a similar role..
>>
>> http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
>
> Is that the review where the guy didn't give the Arctic its 200 hour break
> in, with off-on cycles?

My machine has maybe 2-3 off-on cycles a year. And most of them are for
long power failures. I've got a UPS, but not a generator or it would be
less than that.

> Other reviews have found that Arctic works, especially Ceramique.

The all work, just none really that much better than the other.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:21:00 -0600, "M. Bezzel" <feesa@sbd.net> wrote:

>>"Dorothy Bradbury" wrote:
>>>o Thermal compound is a better heat transfer media than air
>>>o So you simply need enough paste to fill the microscopic voids

>> ... A while back, in a different group, a fellow that seems to
>>know quite a bit recommended "a copper based anti-seize compound". ...

>nickel based works good also, I've used it many times. The metal
>particles aren't as finely ground as they are in HS paste but what the
>hell, it still works. ...

Now I'll have to compare prices. I hadn't heard of nickel based.

Geo

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:13:56 -0600, gf <gmccullough@americamail.com>
wrote:

>><snip>
>>>o Thermal compound is a better heat transfer media than air
>>>o So you simply need enough paste to fill the microscopic voids

>> ... He said:
>>"you can buy a copper based anti-seize compound at any auto parts
>>store; and for $5-6 it will do more cpu's than you will see in your
>>lifetime!"

>Copperkote

His recommendation had been one made by Permatex, but I guess that
there are other options. I'll check the one you mentioned.

Geo

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:26:40 -0600, "M. Bezzel" <feesa@sbd.net> wrote:

>>> For what is worth, but in case someone finds it intersting. A while
>>>back, in a different group, a fellow that seems to know quite a bit
>>>recommended "a copper based anti-seize compound". He said:
>>>"you can buy a copper based anti-seize compound at any auto parts
>>>store; and for $5-6 it will do more cpu's than you will see in your
>>>lifetime!"
>>>
>>> Geo
>>

>> Copperkote
>>

>Gasket cement? May get a little sticky for removal. I just removed a hs
>from a K6-450 that was glued on. It took lots of chiseling to get it off.

Copperkote is not a cement. It does not dry out and does not glue the
cpu to the heatsink.

Alan

Black Shuck wrote:
> Randy Howard got up from the bar and shouted: :
>

>> The fans are the same ones that will pay $200 a foot for audio
>> interconnect cables.
>>
>> :)
>>

> Indeed, with gold plated connectors, and oxygen free cable, that when
> it gets inside the boxes, runs along copper tracks, and up tin/lead
> solder joints...

You don't have your amps hand-built with gold connectors ? Tut, tut.

--
Alan

alan@lordkhaos.dyndns.org

"Black Shuck" <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Randy Howard got up from the bar and shouted: :
>

> > The fans are the same ones that will pay $200 a foot for audio
> > interconnect cables.
> >
> > :)
> >

> Indeed, with gold plated connectors, and oxygen free cable, that when it
> gets inside the boxes, runs along copper tracks, and up tin/lead solder
> joints...

Of course the manufacturers of high quality and expensive audio equipment
often use substandard components inside the box.

According to you?

"Alan" <alan@lordkhaos.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> Black Shuck wrote:
>> Randy Howard got up from the bar and shouted: :
>>

>>> The fans are the same ones that will pay $200 a foot for audio
>>> interconnect cables.
>>>
>>> :)
>>>

>> Indeed, with gold plated connectors, and oxygen free cable, that when
>> it gets inside the boxes, runs along copper tracks, and up tin/lead
>> solder joints...
>
> You don't have your amps hand-built with gold connectors ? Tut, tut.

Such tin ears.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"recursor" <recursor@CASTRATEALLSPAMMERSonetel.com> wrote

> Lol, I read a test in a mag a few years ago where expensive oxygen free
> cable was compared sound-wise with Wooly's finest mains cable, all the
> pundits preferred the Wooly's cable, it gave a much *tighter* and more
> accurate sound apparently..

That show's there is an audible difference.

So, did they test many different hi-fi cables or just that one brand?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:26:40 -0600, "M. Bezzel" <feesa@sbd.net> wrote:

>>> For what is worth, but in case someone finds it intersting. A while
>>>back, in a different group, a fellow that seems to know quite a bit
>>>recommended "a copper based anti-seize compound". He said:
>>>"you can buy a copper based anti-seize compound at any auto parts
>>>store; and for $5-6 it will do more cpu's than you will see in your
>>>lifetime!"
>>>
>>> Geo
>>

>> Copperkote
>>

>Gasket cement? May get a little sticky for removal. I just removed a hs
>from a K6-450 that was glued on. It took lots of chiseling to get it off.

No not cement/glue, more like a high temp grease with ALU / CU in it.

I tried the Permatex? brand ALU stuff for thermal paste on a AMD Slot-A
and Socket-A, it wasn't very good, the cheap white paste did better.

I just popped a boxed K6-233, used a fine blade at corners and the HS
popped right off, hardened black epoxy looking stuff.

Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:49:19 -0600, gf
<gmccullough@americamail.com> wrote:

>>> Copperkote
>>>

>>Gasket cement? May get a little sticky for removal. I just removed a hs
>>from a K6-450 that was glued on. It took lots of chiseling to get it off.
>
>Copperkote is not a cement. It does not dry out and does not glue the
>cpu to the heatsink.

Actually there is insufficient data to determine this.
Darn near anything will suffice on old CPUs with their lower
heat density, but no long-term use can have happened yet on
high thermal density cores such as Athlon XP, simply because
they haven't been in the market long enough. Being a
suspension of larger copper particles in petroleum base, it
is expected that it would tend to separate and pump out
after numerous thermal cycles. Perhaps there's a newer type
of Copper Kote with ester base, but it wouldn't need be
formulated for CPUs, merely the lowest cost per the spec'd
use.

On the other hand, P4 and Athlon 64 with their integral
heat-spreaders, will again allow use of lower grade thermal
interface, relatively speaking.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

kony got up from the bar and shouted: :
<snip>

Someone's fallen for vendor snakeoil and trying hard to convince
themselves that it was money well spent...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

> For what is worth, but in case someone finds it intersting. A while
> back, in a different group, a fellow that seems to know quite a bit
> recommended "a copper based anti-seize compound". He said:
> "you can buy a copper based anti-seize compound at any auto parts
> store; and for $5-6 it will do more cpu's than you will see in your
> lifetime!"

But is it conductive? You don't want to use a conductive paste,
just in case you gob it over the circuits on the motherboard.

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

> "recursor" <recursor@CASTRATEALLSPAMMERSonetel.com> wrote
>>
>> Lol, I read a test in a mag a few years ago where expensive oxygen free cable
>> was compared sound-wise with Wooly's finest mains cable, all the pundits
>> preferred the Wooly's cable, it gave a much *tighter* and more accurate sound
>> apparently..
>
> That show's there is an audible difference.
>
> So, did they test many different hi-fi cables or just that one brand?
>
> --
They tested several named brands of hi-fi (speaker) and several genereric 3
core (uk mains) and some corner electrical shop twin core (speaker) cable. The
general gist of the results was that expensive hi-fi cable is a waste of time,
but of course that kind of listener test is bound to be pretty subjective. Maybe
if they had only chose peeps with perfect pitch and that they would have got
different results...maybe!

In article <NkeKd.29924$xu.834@fed1read05>, nobody@nobody.there says...

> "recursor" <recursor@CASTRATEALLSPAMMERSonetel.com> wrote
> >
> > Lol, I read a test in a mag a few years ago where expensive oxygen free
> > cable was compared sound-wise with Wooly's finest mains cable, all the
> > pundits preferred the Wooly's cable, it gave a much *tighter* and more
> > accurate sound apparently..
>
> That show's there is an audible difference.

There has never been a documented case of anyone being able to tell with
a statistically significant percentage the difference in a double-blind
listening test between the most expensive speaker wire available and lamp
cord.

Quite the opposite is true of speakers of course, because the designs are
often radically different. But, as Dunlavy used to say, "wire is wire".

Many people can "hear" differences when they know there is one, but in
properly conducted tests, they rarely identify the correct cable more
than the expected 50% by random chance (assuming two samples).

None have done so convincingly.

> So, did they test many different hi-fi cables or just that one brand?

It doesn't matter.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

"Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote
> There has never been a documented case of anyone being able to tell with
> a statistically significant percentage the difference in a double-blind
> listening test between the most expensive speaker wire available and lamp
> cord.

Then you've read every article in the audio press that was ever published?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

In article <CFgKd.31911$xu.25379@fed1read05>, "Ed Light"
nobody@nobody.there says...

> "Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote
> > There has never been a documented case of anyone being able to tell with
> > a statistically significant percentage the difference in a double-blind
> > listening test between the most expensive speaker wire available and lamp
> > cord.
>
> Then you've read every article in the audio press that was ever published?

Don't you think purveyers of exotic speaker wire would be shouting
about it if they could prove their claims in a proper scientific way?

"Rob Morley" <nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> In article <CFgKd.31911$xu.25379@fed1read05>, "Ed Light"
> nobody@nobody.there says...
>>
>> "Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote
>> > There has never been a documented case of anyone being able to tell
>> > with
>> > a statistically significant percentage the difference in a double-blind
>> > listening test between the most expensive speaker wire available and
>> > lamp
>> > cord.
>>
>> Then you've read every article in the audio press that was ever
>> published?
>>
> Don't you think purveyers of exotic speaker wire would be shouting
> about it if they could prove their claims in a proper scientific way?

Oh, you assumed it. OK.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:19:10 -0600, Ed <nomail@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>>Gasket cement? May get a little sticky for removal. I just removed a hs
>>from a K6-450 that was glued on. It took lots of chiseling to get it off.
>

>No not cement/glue, more like a high temp grease with ALU / CU in it.
>
>I tried the Permatex? brand ALU stuff for thermal paste on a AMD Slot-A
>and Socket-A, it wasn't very good, the cheap white paste did better.
>
>I just popped a boxed K6-233, used a fine blade at corners and the HS
>popped right off, hardened black epoxy looking stuff.
>
>Ed

INteresting... on the K6-2 it was more of a light grey
silicone rubber, same substance that conducted over the core
also held the spreader on all four corners of the ceramic
carrier.

In article <CFgKd.31911$xu.25379@fed1read05>, nobody@nobody.there says...

> "Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote
> > There has never been a documented case of anyone being able to tell with
> > a statistically significant percentage the difference in a double-blind
> > listening test between the most expensive speaker wire available and lamp
> > cord.
>
> Then you've read every article in the audio press that was ever published?

It would be huge news in the audiophile press if it happened. There have
been several well-publicized attempts, reported in the same forums, and
they have all been embarrassing failures.

I'll tell you what, you find a documented example of it happening, rather
than having me try to prove a negative.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote

> I'll tell you what, you find a documented example of it happening, rather
> than having me try to prove a negative.

It's been years since I've been reading up on this stuff.

However, I've heard differences in cables myself, as have many others.

Just because that particular zip cord sounded good doesn't mean they all
will. Radio Shack 18 ga. solid core copper wire actually got a
recommendation in Stereophile, I think it was.

Something a little different: Try 18 ga. vs 14 ga. and see if the bass is
softer on 18 ga.

I don't care to debate on and on though.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

In article <MPG.1c63af5021d715d098a693@news.individual.net>,
nospam@ntlworld.com says...
> In article <CFgKd.31911$xu.25379@fed1read05>, "Ed Light"
> nobody@nobody.there says...
> >
> > "Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote
> > > There has never been a documented case of anyone being able to tell with
> > > a statistically significant percentage the difference in a double-blind
> > > listening test between the most expensive speaker wire available and lamp
> > > cord.
> >
> > Then you've read every article in the audio press that was ever published?
> >
> Don't you think purveyers of exotic speaker wire would be shouting
> about it if they could prove their claims in a proper scientific way?

Of course they would. They've paid a lot of money over the years attempting
to set up a test and bring in the "best ears" in the business, none of
those attempts have been more successful than a coin flip.

--

In article <IlhKd.32139$xu.20166@fed1read05>, "Ed Light"
nobody@nobody.there says...

> "Rob Morley" <nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > In article <CFgKd.31911$xu.25379@fed1read05>, "Ed Light"
> > nobody@nobody.there says...
> >>
> >> "Randy Howard" <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote
> >>
> >> Then you've read every article in the audio press that was ever
> >> published?
> >>
> > Don't you think purveyers of exotic speaker wire would be shouting
> > about it if they could prove their claims in a proper scientific way?
>
> Oh, you assumed it. OK.

I didn't assume anything, I just asked you a question.