How much space should I allocate for Ubuntu partition for optimal performance? (Dual Boot)

LeoLoon

Reputable
May 29, 2017
Hey! So I was thinking how getting Ubuntu alongside with Windows 10. Currently I have a 100GB partition allocated for Windows 10 alone. I only have around 700GB of storage so I feel like I should use it wisely?

How much space should I allocate for Ubuntu? Google searches suggest around 25GB but isn't that quite small compared to Windows?

Also, can I shrink that 100GB for Windows without affecting performance so that I can allocate the extra space for something else?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
How many partitions do you have on the 700GB of storage? If it's just one physical drive with the OS on it, then you can have them equally partitioned. If it's 100GB for Windows 10, I'd suggest keeping 100GB for Ubnutu. If space is a premium, I'd ask 50GB allocation for your Ubuntu drive.

Lutfij

Titan
How many partitions do you have on the 700GB of storage? If it's just one physical drive with the OS on it, then you can have them equally partitioned. If it's 100GB for Windows 10, I'd suggest keeping 100GB for Ubnutu. If space is a premium, I'd ask 50GB allocation for your Ubuntu drive.

Solution