How much thermal paste is too much/ too little

sethbattery

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I used a little over 3/4 of this tube of thermal paste for the installation of one CPU, is that too much?
gCxgzhx

Many youtube videos on how to use paste.
It shouldn't be oozing out of the sides all over the motherboard.
The problem you may have is, if you remove the cpu and the paste gets on the pins, you could have some big problems. So if you are going to remove the paste DO NOT remove the CPU.

sethbattery

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

The tube that I used about 3/4 ths of I'm pretty sure is meant for a single installation, the tube is less than an inch long

sethbattery

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

So if I just run the comp and carry on I won't likely have any long-term problems?
Also I checked without removing the heatsink and all the thermal paste is still on top of the metal surface of the cpu, none has dribbled out past that

sethbattery

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
So the tube was a 1.5mg I believe, none of the paste had left the metal surface of the CPU, but it seemed excessive so I cleaned off the existing paste and applied a more conservative amount. I got a bit on the metal cpu housing while cleaning but I cleaned it off and made sure that all the paste stayed away from the socket while cleaning and of course left the cpu in the socket while cleaning up the paste.