How much thermal paste should i apply?

Ornate

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
Ok so i know im supposed to apply a pea sized amount in the middle

But i dont know exactly how much a "pea sized" amount is. If i use the Text on the 6600k (http://proclockers.com/sites/default/files/Intel_Core_i5_6600K_04.JPG) as refrence, how much of the text should the dot cover?

Also i read somewhere that you should put your thermal paste in hot water to make it more fluid? Is this necessary?

Solution

What cooler are you putting on this?
Does it have paste already applied?
If yes, just use that.

If you're going to apply your own...use less than you think.Visualize a grain of rice. Maybe 2.
A 'pea' is probably much too large.
I didn't use hot water, and my CPU is still doing fine after 8 months at 4.4Ghz never going over 55 C. I would suggest doing a pea size. It's really hard to measure "hot much" But it should look like a pea. This is because the paste is going to spread across the CPU as the heat sink goes on top. You don't want too much becuase then it can go over the CPU and get into the motherboard. And that's when you have problems.

You should apply as little as possible and its a small pea size. Its only there to fill the tiniest of voids and excessive amounts can squeeze out the sides which you don't want.. The circle surrounding the R is about it maybe a little larger.
Go here for how to apply: http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html
A good TIM will spread evenly and does not require hot water. For good thermal conductivity use AS5 or MX4. Both of these have 8.9-8.7 W/mK respectively.

USAFRet

Titan

What cooler are you putting on this?
Does it have paste already applied?
If yes, just use that.

If you're going to apply your own...use less than you think.Visualize a grain of rice. Maybe 2.
A 'pea' is probably much too large.

Solution

promytius

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

What do I know, but I have always applied thermal paste with my finger, making sure it is as thin and evenly applied as possible, also no need to apply it to the very edge, so that makes cleanup less likely, and it will fill in nicely anyway. Then I very carefully clean off all traces of any leaked paste. I never used the crap they give you with MBs and parts, I buy a high-quality paste in an applicator; if the CPU overheats, the entire computer is compromised. If you still are not sure how much to apply, test it! Put an amount on, mount the heat sink and secure it. Then take it apart and Look at it! Simple as that.

Susquehannock

Honorable
Warming the TIM and CPU does make it much easier with some pastes. I use a light bulb not hot water.

Should ask what product you are using. Different techniques recommended by paste type & various manufactures. Middle dot, line, and surface spread for instance.