how much thermal paste

gwyn

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2004
im about to replace my xp2000 with a mobile xp2500 and hsf.
could someone please tell me how much thermal past to use?
are there any pics on the net about it.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
You really only need a dab. If you put too much, it will spill over the core onto the transistors. Then you will have short circuiting and crap. I would say to put a dab about the size of a pencil eraser. Then fit the heatsink on. Also, if you are buying an AMD retail chip, it comes with a heatsink and fan. On the bottom of the heatsink, there is a thermal pad already mounted. Therefore you don't need thermal paste. But from what you said, if you are getting a Mobile 2500+, my guess is that you are going to overclock it. Good luck. And make sure to have a good heatsink and RAM.

<A HREF="http://www26.brinkster.com/amdgamer1/main.html" target="_new">http://www26.brinkster.com/amdgamer1/main.html</A>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I spread it even thinner than that. just barely enough to make the core "invisble" under the grease with "excessive" spreading out.. more like painting the core. With the single tube of AS, I have already done more chips than I could remember. its still not empty :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

pauldh

Illustrious
You know, someone once told me they get 5-8 cpu's out of 1 AS3 tube. ??? I was thinking, where do you put it? Coat the entire heatsink?

Seem to last ages for me also.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Use a flat plastic bread wrapper holder... whatever those things are called...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just dab it on thin so it looks like bumpy paper. If you spread it like the last guy said, you're just wasting it on the thing you're using to spread it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
1. Remove all traces of thermal pads or other compound form the heat sink and the CPU core surfaces. Use a lint free cloth low residue solvent such as isopropyl alchohol or acetone (nail polish remover) to clean the mating surfaces completly. Make absolutely sure the surfaces are free of foreign materials such as old compund, hair, lint, or oil from fingers. NOTE: NEVER use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus based grease removers, or other automotive degreasers) to clean the surfaces.

2. Put a finger into a CLEAN plastic bag and apply a small amount of Thermal Grease to the outside of the bag. To apply the compound, use a circular motion to rub the compound onto the base of the heat sink only where the CPU core will contact it. Use a LINT FREE cloth to wipe surface, leaving a thn layer of compound. DO NOT use any solvent or fluid this time.

3. Slowly and carefully squeez onto the CPU core an amount of compund equal to about 1/2 the size of an uncooked grain of white rice, or 1/3 of a BB. You want JUST ENOUGH to thinly cover the core completly, without excess. Larger CPUs will require more compound, smalled CPUs less.

4. Use a razor blade or the clean edge of a piece of paper to spread the compound over the core in a thin layer. Do not get excess compound on sides of core or other CPU components.
NOTE:DO NOT use your finger to apply or smooth the compund.

5. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to secure the heat sink. Minimize any "twisting" or lateral "sliding".

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

xboxizdope

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks karamazov, your post just helped me become more nervous about installing my heatsink when I get my P4 chip lol.

No but seriously that was a pretty dayum helpful post, what kind of specific brands do you use for cleaning the core and heatsink? what about lint free cloths? Any brands you like particularly? or are they all about the same?

Enter Sig "Here"

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If you are using the retail HSF that comes with the P4 and are not planning to overclock the easiest thing to do is use the Thermal Pad that is on the Heatsink already. If you do plan on using the Heatsink compound remember to take off the pad from the heatsink, i find using nail polish remover(Acetone) works the best.

When i apply compound i like to use an old credit card(or other card of that type) to spread it on, mostly because i have a few around.

The thinner you spread it the better, as long as it is covering the whole area.

--------
The only thing that i truly know...

is that i know nothing at all.

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Here is step by step instructions on how to apply Heatsink compound with pictures!, right from Artic Silver.

<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm</A>

--------
The only thing that i truly know...

is that i know nothing at all.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peter21 on 04/12/04 10:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Everything I read was to put a small amount about the size of a pea in the middle of the cpu. Then put the hsf on and give it a small turn clockwise and counterclock wise. Not to much turning. Make sure you push down a little bit. This makes sure you do not have air pockets.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Once the thermal paste is applied, how long does it last? Do you have to re-apply it so often?

<A HREF="http://www26.brinkster.com/amdgamer1/main.html" target="_new">http://www26.brinkster.com/amdgamer1/main.html</A>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Everything I read was to put a small amount about the size of a pea in the middle of the cpu.
You mentioned a pea, and a guy before you said a pencil eraser, isn't that way to much? I use far less than that to cover my P4 IHS, the AXP bare core is probably a quater of the surface...

Abit IS7 @ 275 FSB, OCZ PC4200 RAM @ 550Mhz, P4 2.4 @ 3.3Ghz Vcore @ 1.625, Sapphire Radeon 9800P @ stock, for now.
Thermalright SLK-947U, P3 HS @ NB.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Yes way way too much.

more like a small grain of rice.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.