[SOLVED] how much VA do i need for my UPS??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2020
i have a 700watt power supply on my pc. I have 6 case fans, a ryzen 5 3500x , gtx 1660 super, 1 ssd, and 1 500gb hard drive??
i boought a 650va power supply and for some reason it just turns off my pc after brownouts. I think i need more VA?? HOW MUCH should i get??

Solution
actually the thing is is that it doesnt keep my pc UP at all it just turns off right away during brownouts
This is only going to be one of three things:

1. Your equipment is not plugged into the marked (protected) outlet/s
  2. Your load exceeds the ability of the battery to keep everything powered up when the primary AC is cut off.
  3. You have a defective UPS or old battery (they DO have a shelf life)
What, specifically, is plugged into this UPS?
Be aware that a UPS rated at 650VA isn't much. That will keep your PC up for 5 minutes or so at most, just enough time to power down cleanly. How much more you need depends entirely upon just how long you want to be able to operate under battery power and how many other devices are attached. Expect to spend big bucks for long up times.

Oct 2, 2020
Be aware that a UPS rated at 650VA isn't much. That will keep your PC up for 5 minutes or so at most, just enough time to power down cleanly. How much more you need depends entirely upon just how long you want to be able to operate under battery power and how many other devices are attached. Expect to spend big bucks for long up times.
actually the thing is is that it doesnt keep my pc UP at all it just turns off right away during brownouts

2. Your load exceeds the ability of the battery to keep everything powered up when the primary AC is cut off.

Solution
Oct 2, 2020

Im sure my pc is plugged into the right one.
just my computer and my monitor.
I plugged it into my AVR .
the guy who built my pc said that 650va isnt going to be enough. is that really true?

Im sure my pc is plugged into the right one.
just my computer and my monitor.
I plugged it into my AVR .
the guy who built my pc said that 650va isnt going to be enough. is that really true?
It's extremely likely that you've exceeded the capability of that UPS and need much more capacity. I personally wouldn't use anything less than 1500VA. And, as I said earlier, price goes up dramatically with capacity.

In your original title you asked how many VA a new UPS would need for the parts in your PC, but you have never stated what you want the UPS to do? How long do you expect your PC to run after the power goes out and how will you be using the PC, running video games or typing documents?

Oct 2, 2020
In your original title you asked how many VA a new UPS would need for the parts in your PC, but you have never stated what you want the UPS to do? How long do you expect your PC to run after the power goes out and how will you be using the PC, running video games or typing documents?
my friend's pc broke because of brownouts and i rushed to buy a ups to prevent that. i just want my pc not to turn off when playing games so i can safely exit the game and shutdown properly

im

im buying a "Secure 1500VA UPS" would that be enough?
Never heard of them. Personally, I only trust and use APC branded gear for the last 25+ years. As for "how much is enough?" only you can determine that. You have to first determine the maximum load that will be placed on the system and for how long. From that you get the minimum required capacity which you adjust upward as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.