How much wattage do i need in a PSU

Jhazxo

Prominent
May 22, 2017
Im building a new PC, i used different wattage calculators to determine my wattage which is around 300-390. I am trying to find how much wattage in a PSU is safe to use. Would a 500+ bronze be safe?

parts:
CPU: Ryzen 1600
MB: Gigabyte A350 gaming atx
GPU: RX 580 4gb
SSD: sandisk 120gb
HDD: WD blue 1tb
RAM: 8gb Crucial
PSU: ?

Solution
D
Great Wall makes very good power supplies including the CS series and the new refresh of the TX series for Corsair. They made some very good units for OCZ in the past as well. They did not ever make a CX unit. The only criticism I've ever seen of the CS is that it was overpriced.

This is the only power supply calculator you need.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

It even overestimates a bit to account for lower quality units.

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

I always reccomend a good PSU, for example, a CS550M would be a good option!

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

Honestly the PCPartPicker power supply calculator is not very good. The outervision calculator is the best one.

g-unit1111

Titan

Those are not good PSUs, they're made by Great Wall, which makes the abysmal CX power supplies. You want something more like the HX or AX if you're buying Corsair. The EVGA G2 / P2 are also some of the best you can get.

D

Deleted member 217926

Great Wall makes very good power supplies including the CS series and the new refresh of the TX series for Corsair. They made some very good units for OCZ in the past as well. They did not ever make a CX unit. The only criticism I've ever seen of the CS is that it was overpriced.

This is the only power supply calculator you need.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

It even overestimates a bit to account for lower quality units.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
The CS series are ok. Quality isn't the best especially for thier price you can usually find a better unit like a Evga G2, Seasonic G or Corsair RMx for the same price.
Great Wall does make the newly released CX(non m) units but no reviews yet so the jury is still out on how those will be.

g-unit1111

Titan

OK so I was 1/2 right on that one. :lol:

Flibbi_boi

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017

Thx I wasn't aware of that

D

Deleted member 217926

I stand corrected. I had no idea Corsair was even launching a fully wired CX refresh much less that Great Wall would be the OEM. The CS is still a decent unit that's mostly a 'no buy' because of price. It's certainly not trash.

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

Sorry, I live in a australia, and pricing must be different because G2 power supplies are far more expensive than CS ones.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that can happen in AUD. But there's good PSUs at every price level. Corsair makes a lot of good power supplies - their AXi and HXi units are some of the best you can buy, and the AX and HX are very good as well. But they also do have a lot of bad PSUs in their lineup. Every manufacturer is like this, and EVGA, Corsair, Antec - no manufacturer is immune from this.