How much wattage I need for gaming ?

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hello guys ! I have an amd fx 6300 cpu and a radeon r9 270x gpu. Would the superflower leadex 650 W be enough for me ? I play demanding games like fifa 18 nba 18 but I never go with maximum settings... Is 650 W enough ?

Solution
Well a €30 750w PSU I've never heard of would certainly be one of my main concerns even though your build will take essentially 300w at the most.

Occt will really only stress the CPU though & you're looking around 100w system wide draw using that.

Plainly though your board & CPU are stable enough

Black screen /freezing after heavy GPU stress would point to either GPU or PSU, if the GPU you'd likely see artifacting or black screen flashes before the system freeze

So I'd say primarily you did exactly the right thing replacing that PSU with something very god quality like the leadex.

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hello madmatt thanks for the quick reply! Could you please give me your opinion on another subject? So this a past issue I had and I want to know your opinion . When I was idle or browsing I had no problems at all.but when I played a game after two hours straight ( never less than that ) the monitor would suddenly go black and then it would show no signal detected. The pc wouldn't shutdown and I could hear something like a freezing sound from the speakers. The only thing I could do then was doing a restart by pressing the power button. Then no problems everything back to normal. This issue happened 4-5 times in a month so after a bit of research I concluded that my two year old psu ( force 750 W 30 Euros ) was faulty so I decided to change it with the leadex one! Since then I don't have experienced again the same issue but I play a lot less ( I don't thunk I have played for more than 2 hours straight ). So what do you think ? Was this issue caused by the bad psu because this issue is quite common and a lot of people are saying cpu gpu or mobo.I have run an OCCT with the new psu for about half hour and no problems were found.Thanks again for your help

Well a €30 750w PSU I've never heard of would certainly be one of my main concerns even though your build will take essentially 300w at the most.

Occt will really only stress the CPU though & you're looking around 100w system wide draw using that.

Plainly though your board & CPU are stable enough

Black screen /freezing after heavy GPU stress would point to either GPU or PSU, if the GPU you'd likely see artifacting or black screen flashes before the system freeze

So I'd say primarily you did exactly the right thing replacing that PSU with something very god quality like the leadex.

Solution

sotfoun10

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it! Since I didn't experienced any other video problems and the temps were normal I ruled out the possibility of a faulty gpu. But I have one last ( silly probably) question : if it was indeed the psu the problem why it happened after 2 hours and not let's say from the first 30 minutes? The wattage the gpu needs increase with the pass of time ? Thanks again

At a guess instability of the psu because of internal psu temps,there's no way of measuring psu temps without the use of a physical thermostat but the fact is cheap psu's with lower quality components will run hotter than quality units..
Heat can lower efficiency & cause ripple/voltage fluctuations on cheap psu's with fairly drastic effects to system stability.

I highly doubt that force 750w was really a 750w psu at all,ive seen cheap 600-750w psu's that were in real life situations 300-350w at best (& very poor quality at that)

You got a link or a photo of that cheap psu you replaced ??

It's absolutely normal , voltage drops when power saving kicks in at low.loads , you'll also see the CPU core clocks drop to 1400htz when this happens.

Can't fins specs on that PSU but the 500w model is realistically a 280w unit so it's unlikely that 750w was more than a 400w in reality.
The fact it only had a single 6 pin GPU connector is a dead giveaway.