[SOLVED] How my windows is activated?

Jun 8, 2020
Hey guys, So my question is that i used Windows installation media tool to make a copy of win10 on an usb flash drive, During installation i choosed windows 10 pro to be my version, as i was going to buy a key and activate it, but after installation, i opened my computer's properties to see that the windows is already activated, putting in mind, i didn't activate anything, it has just been formatted, and when i opened activation window inside settings tab, it said "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account", So can anyone please explain how is it activated?

Solution
Was Windows 10 Pro originally installed on the PC you took to the Computer Service Shop? BTW, any service shop that would install an illegally activated version of Windows should not be used again. Anyway, if your PC originally had Windows 10 Pro before the new Motherboard, it's likely Windows had some record of it (licenses are no longer tied to MB) and activated your Windows 10.
Hey guys, So my question is that i used Windows installation media tool to make a copy of win10 on an usb flash drive, During installation i choosed windows 10 pro to be my version, as i was going to buy a key and activate it, but after installation, i opened my computer's properties to see that the windows is already activated, putting in mind, i didn't activate anything, it has just been formatted, and when i opened activation window inside settings tab, it said "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account", So can anyone please explain how is it activated?
Ils this a new motherboard, or did you already install windows with this MoBo, or did you connect to your Microsoft account using this motherboard now ?

Jun 8, 2020
Ils this a new motherboard, or did you already install windows with this MoBo, or did you connect to your Microsoft account using this motherboard now ?

No the computer had some issues before so i went to a computer service shop to fix it, it was with the motherboard, and after we replaced it, they did install a cracked copy of windows on pc as they said "they needed to put another windows in order for the MoBo, to work with its full function" so right now i didn't want the fake copy so i reinstalled windows 10 pro using windows installation media tool as mentioned above, but yes it is on the same motherboard.

Note : during windows installation i did format the system completly before installing the new windows.

Note2 : microsoft account used in this is a new account, i have just made it.

Was Windows 10 Pro originally installed on the PC you took to the Computer Service Shop? BTW, any service shop that would install an illegally activated version of Windows should not be used again. Anyway, if your PC originally had Windows 10 Pro before the new Motherboard, it's likely Windows had some record of it (licenses are no longer tied to MB) and activated your Windows 10.

Solution
Jun 8, 2020

Yes, i stopped using their services after that

if you know how may i remove the fake subscribtion, so i can put a legit key?and is it okay to buy the key and do change product key and put the legit key? Or it woulnd't work?

Colif

Win 11 Master
they did install a cracked copy of windows on pc as they said "they needed to put another windows in order for the MoBo, to work with its full function" so right now i didn't want the fake copy so i reinstalled windows 10 pro using windows installation media tool as mentioned above,
Idiots don't need to use a cracked version, you can install any version of win 10 on a PC without a licence and it runs fine. Putting a cracked version on motherboard just does more harm than good.

I wonder if telling Microsoft about them would achieve anything.

Jun 8, 2020
Idiots don't need to use a cracked version, you can install any version of win 10 on a PC without a licence and it runs fine. Putting a cracked version on motherboard just does more harm than good.

I wonder if telling Microsoft about them would achieve anything.
Yes they really are idiots, but i don't thinl thay telling such big companies about a small computer service shop would change anything, they won't do anything to such a low threat, but eventually shops like those will vanish by the time, and be awareness.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1 When you got PC back from repair shop, did you create a user? Was user linked to an email address? Just wondering what it shows on the settings/update & security/activation screen next to activation. If it says Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft Account, we may have to unlink it before you can do number 2.
If it says anything else, there is a good chance doing 2 won't have any future consequences.

2 I just wonder if doing this before entering new product code would help for future
Press Windows key + X then click Command Prompt (Admin). At the command prompt, enter the following command: slmgr.vbs /upk.

This command uninstalls the product key, which frees the license for use elsewhere.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/#:~:text=Uninstall Windows 10 Product Key&text=At the command prompt, enter,your license to another computer.

note: above quote has old instructions to find command prompt. Search for command prompt, right click app result and choose Run as admin

As you don't want it to accidentally happen again on next install, that should maybe stop it...

then you could enter new key and know it won't do it again.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS