How often do you need to clean your desktop computer?

jomarsison422

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
How often do you remove the dust on your computer?
What are the tools you need to use?
What are the right steps on cleaning your computer?

Everyone has different ideas of how long to go between cleanings. Some are picky about their system and give it a quick dusting daily, weekly, monthly. Every 2-4 weeks would be what I'd consider 'basic' maintenance. The easiest way to clean them out is with a can of compressed air. Make sure the system is powered off, try to gently hold the blades of fans when blowing out to avoid spinning them up with the air pressure (it can rev them faster than they're designed for). Make sure to get the cooling fins of your cpu cooler if it's an air cooler or radiator fins if it's water cooled. Same thing with the video card and power supply. I usually clean out the interior first then wipe off the exterior with a microfiber cloth (you can find them most anywhere like auto stores or auto cleaning departments of other stores). Shouldn't take more than 5-10min. Be careful not to tilt the can of air since it can spray moisture that way, just use small bursts. If the dirt's stuck on, I use a cotton swab (qtip or whatever) with rubbing alcohol.

Time frame is very dependent on your home.
If you have pets near the computer, outside environment, how sealed your house is all play a factor.
I have seen computers filthy in 2 months, and others with almost no dust 4-6 months latter.

Power off the system and run a can of compressed air through it. Make sure to take a pencil or other slender object to block each fan from moving when you spraying it, this includes the case fans, cpu fan and PSU fan.

If you have a higher end case you may have air filter (s) on the intake fans.

As stated if using compressed can air dont tilt it and still even at that give it 5 to 10 minutes before powering back on the computer.

It is not advised to use air form an air compressor unless you understand what aspects make it dangerous and correct those aspects (like risk of moisture in line, over pressure, etc)

EVEN with filters on my computer's inlets, i still get a serious level of dust in the computer, and the house is fairly dust free (have a hepa filter system on the furnance). Like synphul said, 2-4 weeks is a good time frame - i've gone 4 weeks, and have also found visible dust levels at the 2 week mark.

Only addition i'd make to synphul's comments, i use one of those small keyboard vacuums - actually works pretty nicely especially on the fan blades - i'd rather collect the dust into a bag - then blow it over to another component - once i've vacuumed, i'll then use compressed air to blow the crevices, mem boards etc where i couldn't get to

and i'm actually cutting a hepa filter(s) to fit my computer case this weekend - i just can't believe we can't filter the dust BEFORE it makes it's way into the case