Question How often would I need to replace the liquid on an AIO?

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
I'm debating whether or not I should buy an air cooler or a water cooler, but I'd like to know how often I would need to add or replace the liquid.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I've had a Phanteks with a warped base, Noctua with leaky heatpipe. I've replaced motherboards that warped and cracked traces with a Noctua NH-D14. I've also replaced several original h60-h100 (the corrugated pipe versions) that sprunk leaks from cracked hoses or leaking fittings.

There is a failure rate to any production part, it happens. It just happens less often with better stuff that has higher quality control. Aios have a reputation for leaks and noise, but it's not a general reputation, it's more specific to older designs and companies that differ from the norm, like deepcool. Noise originated with old Corsair designs, (the old h100i being the most popular aio worldwide, which had abysmally loud fans), new designs have really quiet fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've replaced motherboards that warped and cracked traces with a Noctua NH-D14.
Would you say that the weight of large air coolers warping mobos is still a thing today?

I doubt very many AIO warranties cover consequential damages... do you know of any that do?

In the absence of that all they'd ever do is replace their defective hardware.
I've only ever heard of Corsair and NZXT doing it. They have actually compensated users for lost hardware IF they deemed their product responsible for the damage.
Can't speak for the other liquid cooling vendors though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's one of those iffy things. For a while, there were some mobo's produced that were slightly thinner than standard, which gave Corsair's AIO's fits as it'd leave floppy backplates. But that also meant, especially in more humid areas and ppl not running air conditioning, that damage to the mobo from excessive socket are weight was a possibility. Is it still? Possibly, but I'd tend to think it'd be more probable from those older, recapped 3rd/4th gen refurbs out of China boards in the Indo-Asiatic area that are quite popular than something new in the US.

Gotta figure that most of the damaged boards weren't actually from atmospheric conditions, but ppl moving and not removing the heatsink. One good pothole bounce in those Ryder trucks will supply enough downwards torque to do that.

Reactions: Phaaze88
I've only ever heard of Corsair and NZXT doing it. They have actually compensated users for lost hardware IF they deemed their product responsible for the damage.
Can't speak for the other liquid cooling vendors though.
That sounds like the sort of thing a company does to buy back customer good will, especially following a debacle product liability experience. I am talking of standard warranty clauses.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's plenty of case manufacturers. Ram. Psu. Aio. Aircooler. Keyboards. Mice. And other things. Corsair has its name on just about everything except motherboards and gpus. It relies totally on word of mouth, brand recognition. It's acceptable to take minor hits due to normal failures, but total loss of a pc, to multiple ppl when those old plastic hoses cracked and sprayed coolant everywhere, destroying the pc, that kind of isn't a regular failure like a pump dying, fan freezing up, ram incompatability etc. That's manufacture suicide not to acknowledge, especially with today's internet. So Corsair takes the $1000-$2000 hit, and considers it very cheap insurance and propoganda advertising. Much cheaper than massive loss of sales overnite when youtube goes viral.

It's all about the reputation. I'd rather buy Corsair or NZXT or Evga, knowing my stuff is covered than taking chances on another brand that's cheaper for now, but 10x more expensive if I have to replace the whole thing.

Years ago, I had a clients pc go bunk when his top mounted h100 tube split and destroyed the pc, shorting the mobo, gpu, got into the hdd etc. It was bad. Took pictures, sent to Corsair. Their reply was basically to build a new pc using equitable parts but please ask the owner if he'd include a new H100i, the upgrade with rubber tubing. And a new keyboard and mouse combo. And compensated me for the build.
Corsair didn't have to do that, but they did. Client was happy, and me as the retailer for Corsair products had a lot more faith in them as a Company. Other brands might perform slightly better at times, but Corsair, Kingston, Evga, Crucial pretty much always get my vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88