[SOLVED] How safe is it, to OC your monitor's Refresh Rate?

Jassen

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
So I have this 27" ASUS MX279H 1080p60Hz monitor, running on a ASUS GTX 1660TI OC TUF. Thing is , when I play games with V-Sync OFF, I get screen tearing, 1 flickering line, a bit above the middle of the monitor, really annoying. I've tested under windows, I can get 75Hz with no glitches, but I was too scared to keep it for more than few mins.
So question is, has anyone had bad/good experience with OC'ing monitors? Is 15Hz on 60Hz too much, or too little?
I have the money to buy a new monitor, but its not in my priority list for the near future.

Solution
It is absolutely not safe to overclock a monitor unless it's rated to run at that higher speed via overclock which is usually stated in the specs. Besides that you can take the risk but is 15hz game changing for you? I would think in most cases it isn't.

I haven't really had good experiences overclocking monitors but they were older and I didn't really care if they got ruined. They were both 1600x900/60hz monitors that the first one instantly burnt up (was quite the site seeing it cycle through colors then go dark) at 75hz and the other one was ok for a short time but didn't run correctly and was forced to go back to 60hz (currently using as a secondary monitor for my system).

@Jassen, Your OC could be fine but realistically I'd...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
So I have this 27" ASUS MX279H 1080p60Hz monitor, running on a ASUS GTX 1660TI OC TUF. Thing is , when I play games with V-Sync OFF, I get screen tearing, 1 flickering line, a bit above the middle of the monitor, really annoying. I've tested under windows, I can get 75Hz with no glitches, but I was too scared to keep it for more than few mins.
So question is, has anyone had bad/good experience with OC'ing monitors? Is 15Hz on 60Hz too much, or too little?
I have the money to buy a new monitor, but its not in my priority list for the near future.

Hi @Jassen

This is an interesting question. I'm interested to read how others fared. As for me, about 5 years ago I bought a cheap 21' 720p monitor and OC'd it's 60hz refresh up to I believe 75hz as well. I tried all sorts of different hz & screen resolutions in between and it never went above 75hz & 960p. I don't remember the exact final settings, but I do remember it did not run smooth above it's default 720p. Every time I pushed it past, it would always crash and give me a blue screen the moment I started ANY game, regardless of the in-game settings. At the desktop it was semi-stable, but still prone to twitching out. It also lasted less than a year. Was the 1st & last time I ever tweaked my monitor in any way that wasn't within specs.

Reactions: Jassen

Jassen

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Hi @Jassen

This is an interesting question. I'm interested to read how others fared. As for me, about 5 years ago I bought a cheap 21' 720p monitor and OC'd it's 60hz refresh up to I believe 75hz as well. I tried all sorts of different hz & screen resolutions in between and it never went above 75hz & 960p. I don't remember the exact final settings, but I do remember it did not run smooth above it's default 720p. Every time I pushed it past, it would always crash and give me a blue screen the moment I started ANY game, regardless of the in-game settings. At the desktop it was semi-stable, but still prone to twitching out. It also lasted less than a year. Was the 1st & last time I ever tweaked my monitor in any way that wasn't within specs.

Thank you for the feed back, but I didn't understand, you used it for 1 year overclocked (Resolution and Refresh 920p75Hz) and it died? Or you found some stable settings, above its default 720p60Hz?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Thank you for the feed back, but I didn't understand, you used it for 1 year overclocked (Resolution and Refresh 920p75Hz) and it died? Or you found some stable settings, above its default 720p60Hz?

Hi @Jassen,

Sorry if the above was confusing. While I was able to push the monitor above its native 720p it ultimately never ran stable ant any of the settings above it and so I dropped it back to it's default setting just so I could use it. Not sure if my constant tinkering caused it to fail prematurely or I just got a bad monitor but it did not last long. Thinking back, I think it died just after a year as it was out of warranty when it died. Never wanted to mess with trying to OC my monitor again after that.

WildCard999

Titan
It is absolutely not safe to overclock a monitor unless it's rated to run at that higher speed via overclock which is usually stated in the specs. Besides that you can take the risk but is 15hz game changing for you? I would think in most cases it isn't.

I haven't really had good experiences overclocking monitors but they were older and I didn't really care if they got ruined. They were both 1600x900/60hz monitors that the first one instantly burnt up (was quite the site seeing it cycle through colors then go dark) at 75hz and the other one was ok for a short time but didn't run correctly and was forced to go back to 60hz (currently using as a secondary monitor for my system).

@Jassen, Your OC could be fine but realistically I'd find a Freesync monitor that supports DisplayPort so you can utilize Freesync with your GPU. I'm running a LG 2560x1080P/75hz/Freesync/IPS with my 1660S and the adaptive sync runs great.

Reactions: Jassen
Solution

Jassen

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Thanks all for the replies.

@WildCard999 Well thing is, "https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/5c1f7cb" says: Vertical frequency (digital) 56 Hz - 76 Hz. On the official Asus page there is no specs for digital, but analog says : 56 HZ - 76 HZ. Could this mean that its a 75 Hz monitor, limited to 60 Hz.
+ The successors MX279HS and MX279HE, have the Digital Signal Frequency : 30 ~80 KHz (H) /56 ~76 Hz(V) on the ASUS official page.

Last edited: