How safe is it to transport a bare HDD over a thousand Km on car??

Zuhayr378

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Hey guys, I live in Canada and I'm going to America for a while in the end of this summer break (school starts September 2nd) to meet up with my cousins and relatives but I'm deciding to bring along a 2.5" Hard Drive. Don't ask why but just help me here. Is it going to be safe to transport the HDD in a bag or something??? I might make multiple stops. I'm going to Pittsburgh and Kentucky from Toronto, Ontario.
Anyways, Is there something I should do to protect it along the way?? I'm going by car so I think it should be safe for the most part. I got scared with my old laptop HDD when the laptop fell off my bed and the screen cracked which thereafter caused the HDD to fail or something. I had to do a full reboot with it.
If there is anyway somebody could convince me to transport this HDD to those places, it would be nice. I'm leaving this Friday, so buying anything extra is not going to happen unless it's urgent.

Thanks.

P.S. IF YOU GUYS THINK IT WON'T BE MUCH SAFE IT ALL I will not even bring the HDD for safe reasons. Thx a ton. :)

Solution
Google literally build their servers in shipping containers because its faster to pick up a whole data rack and truck it to where they need the data than send it over the internet. Your talking maybe 1000 HDD's in one of those servers.
Carrying a single HDD in a consumer car, your fine. Just dont drop the thing.

Zuhayr378

Reputable
May 15, 2014

About that...isn't the HDD blank then?? Nobody should worry because it's not like any data will get destroyed THEN. Right???

Google literally build their servers in shipping containers because its faster to pick up a whole data rack and truck it to where they need the data than send it over the internet. Your talking maybe 1000 HDD's in one of those servers.
Carrying a single HDD in a consumer car, your fine. Just dont drop the thing.

Solution

Yes the drive is blank when it is shipped from the factory, but generally formatted so there is technically something on the drive. However, if the drive sustains damage, you won't lose the data in isolation, and the drive functions subsequently normally.