How should I fix my WD External Hard Disk error?

Advait007

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I have '1 TB WD My Passport' External Hard Disk which is approx 1 year old(which was in good condition). Today,when I was transferring my data from the disk I accidentally removed the USB connecting cable. Afterwards when I connected the cable the disk was detected by Windows 8 but it showed blank drive in My Computer. The disk's properties are correctly shown in Device Manger. Disk Management window crashes when I open it & whenever I open My Computer, my laptop freezes & even some applications are getting hanged(this all happens only when the WD disk is connected).
My Computer gives 'Device not accessible' and 'I/O parameter error'.

I even tried CHKDSK with 'f' and 'r' commands but they gave 'Can't determine Volume sector/stats.CHKDSK aborted'.

Is my disk busted? How should I fix this? and will my data be recoverable(damn valuable data)?

Please reply and answer ASAP :/

Solution
Hey there, Advait007!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your issues with the WD My Passport. :(
You've already done pretty good with the basic troubleshooting. By accidentally unplugging the external, I suspect data corruption that's why you cannot access it. You can try plugging the drive in another port on the computer or maybe even trying the drive in another PC and see how it will react.
Another thing to do here, is to test the drive using Data LifeGuard Diagnostics . Check if you can run the extended test, I doubt it's going to help but it wouldn't hurt to try.

If you wish to recover the data, I'd suggest to get in touch with a professional Data Recovery company. Keep in mind that it's costly though. :|

If not, I'd...
Hey there, Advait007!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your issues with the WD My Passport. :(
You've already done pretty good with the basic troubleshooting. By accidentally unplugging the external, I suspect data corruption that's why you cannot access it. You can try plugging the drive in another port on the computer or maybe even trying the drive in another PC and see how it will react.
Another thing to do here, is to test the drive using Data LifeGuard Diagnostics . Check if you can run the extended test, I doubt it's going to help but it wouldn't hurt to try.

If you wish to recover the data, I'd suggest to get in touch with a professional Data Recovery company. Keep in mind that it's costly though. :|

If not, I'd straight away contact WD's tech support for assistance with this. They would be more than willing to help you out: http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en
Your WD My Passport should still be under warranty, so I'd definitely RMA it and get a replacement:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8

Keep me posted! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Advait007

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Thanks for the fast reply.
I guess the disk's MFT has been corrupted.I tried Lifeguard Diagnostic but no luck.I even tried testDisk and HDD Regenerator but no success.Anyways I'm going to approach WD service centre for replacing the disk.

Once again thanks :)

Can you retrieve the drive's SMART report with CrystalDiskInfo?

There are DIY ways to troubleshoot your drive, but they require replacing or modifying the PCB to convert it to SATA mode. Then you would need to diagnose it with a tool such as SeDiv or WDMarvel. Many WD models are afflicted with a "slow responding" issue which can be fixed with a single-click, if you have access to the right software, but you would need to prepare your drive as I have described. IMHO, WD should fix these drives for free instead of sending their victims to be slaughtered by their data recovery "partners".

Advait007

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Yea I tried CrystalDisk but no luck :(

I will try the DIY methods as you mentioned before replacing the Disk.
Damn I really wanted to save my stuff.Let's see.
Thanks for the answer!!