[SOLVED] How should I go about moving an old SSD into a new PC?

giancua0

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018
I had a PC about a year ago and sold everything in it except for my Samsung 860 EVO 500GB. I'm planning to build a new PC, but I am wondering if I can just plug this SSD into the new system or if I have to go through any process beforehand to ensure that it works. Some people have been telling me it will work fine if I just straight up plug it into the new PC, others have said I have to completely wipe the SSD. Any ideas? Thanks!

Solution
Yes it was the OS drive in the old system.
I strongly suggest just a full wipe and reinstall of the OS, when it is in this new system.

Might it work if you just slap it in? Yeah, maybe. Kind of.
And you'll be chasing issues for weeks.

This drive has been sitting around for a while.
Just start over.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes it was the OS drive in the old system.
I strongly suggest just a full wipe and reinstall of the OS, when it is in this new system.

Just start over.

Solution

giancua0

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018

Just start over.

Thanks! I know how to install windows, but how should I go about a full wipe of the SSD?

giancua0

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018
You'll have that option when you install Windows. Just delete the existing partition(s).

I'm assuming that you have all data backed up safely; you should make sure to do that under any circumstance of course!
So when I am reinstalling windows via the USB, there will be an option to delete the existing partition? Thanks! Did not know this was an option.