Question How should I transport my pc?

May 22, 2023
I'm moving away from my home, I still have the PC box but not the strofoam.
I have 2 choices of moving, in a mobile storage unit being delivered to a storage centre, then to my new home.
Or in my car (thinking behind shotgun, and in the foot area in front of the back seats.)

Also don't really know what to do with the graphics card. Bought it second hand so no box, but could probably fashion one together.
I have an AIO so no heavy cooler
Also it's a mid-tower case.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm moving 1hr30m away from my home, I still have the PC box but not the strofoam.
I have 2 choices of moving, in a mobile storage unit being delivered to a storage centre, then to my new home.
Or in my car (thinking behind shotgun, and in the foot area in front of the back seats.) for a 2hr drive there, and a 1h drive back to my new place.

Also don't really know what to do with the graphics card. Bought it second hand so no box, but could probably fashion one together.
I have an AIO so no heavy cooler
Also it's a mid-tower case.
I would just lay it on it's side with the side of the video card pointing up. You could remove the card if you wish.

Edit I've made 6/7 hour trips with it like that even with a large air cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Once you have it in the trunk, the important thing is make sure it can't move around. You don't want it moving side to side when you turn or bounce up and down over bumps. Try to put things around it so it has limited movement.

Truly long trip with unexpected road conditions, I would take the CPU heatsink (if air cooled) off as well as GPU removal.

GPU should be all right without an antistatic bag. Just make sure that when you pick up the GPU you always touch the surface it is in contact with and then the rear I/O bracket first before further handling. When placing it down on something or in something always be touching the rear I/O bracket and then touch the other object before letting any other part of the card touch.

That is essentially what antistatic wrist straps and anti-static bags do (anti-static bags contain metal or conductive materials so that potential differences in charge are carried through them, the path of least resistance, rather than through the delicate components.

Keeping all your discharges on the ground plane (rear I/O bracket) should have the same effect.

Just avoid really static generating things like bare Styrofoam for packing material.