Question How should my liquid cooling fan/radiator be?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is little difference in terms of cooling performance from fan/rad order as long as cool air is pulled through the rad to cool its contents. You are fine (it would seem) as currently mounted.

I do assume that your fans are sucking cool air through the rad, into the case, and your rear exhaust fans to removing warm air out of the case.

In general, front, side, and bottom fans pull cool air into the case (intake). Whereas, rear and top fans remove warm air from the case (exhaust). Efficiency is all about air flow through the case.

Personally and only personally I prefer having the fans in front blowing air through the radiator. Secondly if I can I always install the radiator in the top of the case extracting air out and leave the front for fans to bring cool air in...just my personal experience but it is dependant on the case itself.

the order doesn't matter that much although i have my fans first and then the radiator in the front of my case...
and also if the fans are rgb putting it at the front also gives an asthetic look if u have tempered glass in front...

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You will always hear different things about order, because everybody has an opinion, everybody has different setups, different AIO's, different fan settings etc.

When dealing with rads, static pressure is important, just as much as cfm. It's the relationship of both that sets up the performance variables. In an engine it'd be equivalent to torque and horsepower. There's also a relationship between the rad/coolant temps and ambient temps. In traditional top mount, the air used is case ambient, which is generally 6-12°C higher than outside ambient, so affects the temp of the coolant and its ability to absorb cpu energy.

A small amount, you'd generally see cpu temps 1-3°C lower with front mount rads.

That doesn't take into consideration the fan rpm or orientation.

In push, the majority of air is forced through the fins in a donut shaped area, you'll see that easily with dust buildup, because a fan is round the cone is round, and nothing gets pushed from the motor housing. In pull, the vacuum created by the blades has no real shape, it affects just about the entire area of the rad surface, greater area = greater capacity to cool.

This changes with rpm. Above @ 1200-1500rpm there's generally enough cfm that ability is flipped, there's more air directed across the fins in a higher concentration. In pull, the vacuum is weaker relatively than the exhaust. This can change cpu temps roughly 1-3°C.

So for low rpm, front mount pull can see @ 4-5°C total lower cpu temps, for high rpm, front mount push.

But that's just cpu. The exhaust from the rad will now change case ambient temps slightly, which in turn can affect the gpu by 1-3°C, as it too uses case ambient temps for cooling. But thats a different argument as to why ppl will mount an aio as exhaust.

Overall pc temps don't really change much at all, there's bonuses and detriment to any orientation, rpm, mount, it's going to boil down to your exact preference, what you can/cannot live with, what looks best, what fits. When cpu temps are well under @ 70ish°C, even 5°C doesn't make a hill of beans difference one way or the other.

Except to your opinion.

Your setup is fine...as long as the hot air from the radiator is getting exhausted with fans at the back and possibly the top then you should have no problems. You can pretty much mount that AIO anywhere you like with little change in performance as long as the case has good airflow.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
And to clarify, the air exiting the radiator should not be 'hot', it should be 'warm' at most.

If it is 'hot', then you chose a smaller cooler than you should for your CPU and any overclocking, which is why a 240mm radiator for a CPU is really the smallest anyone should consider unless your installation options dictate that only a 120mm or single 140mm are available.

Reactions: Karadjgne