Question How should upgrade my CPU ?

Skykid951

Honorable
Oct 17, 2015
Specs:
Alienware Aurora R4
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
32GB RAM

I don't know much about computers but I'm looking for advice on what CPU I should get and if I might have to replace my motherboard to do it. im hoping not to break the bank but if i do how much i should expect. I tend to play a lot of flight sims and large area games at 4k resolution. any help is much appreciated.

That CPU was introduced 10 years ago.

Even a modest modern PC would outrun it easily.

You cannot do much of an upgrade without also upgrading the motherboard.

You'd also have to upgrade memory (RAM) to DDR4. You have DDR3 now.

You could likely keep your hard drives, GPU, and case.

Most would recommend you replace any 10 year old power supply.

You could do a pretty good job for 600 to 800 dollars if in the USA. Reuse the case, GPU, and drives. New motherboard, RAM, power supply, CPU, CPU cooler if not included with CPU.

What's the budget and from where would you buy?

Flight Sim might have some wild requirements. I don't know.

You should get an SSD if you don't already have one. That's 50 dollars minimum.

I guess Alienware is Dell related. That case may be cuckoo and non-standard in some way that might prevent you from changing internal parts. You'd need to confirm that.

Reactions: Why_Me
Specs:
Alienware Aurora R4
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
32GB RAM

I don't know much about computers but I'm looking for advice on what CPU I should get and if I might have to replace my motherboard to do it. im hoping not to break the bank but if i do how much i should expect. I tend to play a lot of flight sims and large area games at 4k resolution. any help is much appreciated.
Nothing to upgrade to directly, you need a new CPU, MB and RAM at least.

Reactions: Why_Me

Skykid951

Honorable
Oct 17, 2015
That CPU was introduced 10 years ago.

Even a modest modern PC would outrun it easily.

You cannot do much of an upgrade without also upgrading the motherboard.

You'd also have to upgrade memory (RAM) to DDR4. You have DDR3 now.

You could likely keep your hard drives, GPU, and case.

Most would recommend you replace any 10 year old power supply.

You could do a pretty good job for 600 to 800 dollars if in the USA. Reuse the case, GPU, and drives. New motherboard, RAM, power supply, CPU, CPU cooler if not included with CPU.

What's the budget and from where would you buy?

Flight Sim might have some wild requirements. I don't know.

You should get an SSD if you don't already have one. That's 50 dollars minimum.

I guess Alienware is Dell related. That case may be cuckoo and non-standard in some way that might prevent you from changing internal parts. You'd need to confirm that.
The CPU/motherboard is the only thing that I haven't changed inside. I figured id probably need a new case all together and keep my more modern components. The issue I run into is I don't really know how to build a pc from scratch at least with confidence. I cant find a place where they sell partially built PCs. Time isn't really an issue so i can save up. I'm mainly looking to get my pc up to current standards. Do you have any recommended models?

The CPU/motherboard is the only thing that I haven't changed inside. I figured id probably need a new case all together and keep my more modern components. The issue I run into is I don't really know how to build a pc from scratch at least with confidence. I cant find a place where they sell partially built PCs. Time isn't really an issue so i can save up. I'm mainly looking to get my pc up to current standards. Do you have any recommended models?
What country are you located and what is your budget?

Last edited: