[SOLVED] How Small is SFF (Small Form Factor)?

IDProG

Distinguished
We all know that not all Mini ITX cases are Small Form Factor. Cases like NZXT H210 and Phanteks Evolv ITX are objectively not SFF.

Now, what is your subjective opinion about SFF? How much volume do you consider a case SFF? Just curious.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Depends on the formfactor of the motherboard and the general components of the machine.
  1. For an itx gaming system with a gpu I would say sub 16l is sff.
  2. I would consider the Sliger cerberusX a sff case because you can fit an eatx system in 24l.
  3. If we are talking htpc or office without a gpu I would consider sub 10l as sff.
Does Wolf imply my sweet watercooled NCase is not SFF? I am shocked!
I needed 3 tries to fit a tiny aquaaero quadro controller in there, because there is literally no space left. If it is not sff then it is at least stuffed to the brim.

Last edited:

IDProG

Distinguished
In my opinion, if a case can accept a full height graphics card, perpendicular to the motherboard, it's not a Small Form Factor case.

-Wolf sends
Depends on the formfactor of the motherboard and the general components of the machine.
  1. For an itx gaming system with a gpu I would say sub 16l is sff.
  2. I would consider the Sliger cerberusX a sff case because you can fit an eatx system in 24l.
  3. If we are talking htpc or office without a gpu I would consider sub 10l as sff.
Does Wolf imply my sweet watercooled NCase is not SFF? I am shocked!
I needed 3 tries to fit a tiny aquaaero quadro controller in there, because there is literally no space left. If it is not sff then it is at least stuffed to the brim.
I consider SFF cases as being too small in any dimension to fit a standard size ATX psu. So that'll include any pc with SFX, TFX psus etc
SFF should be small enough to fool general people into thinking that it's not a PC.
Do you consider an 18L case that can store a 330mm graphics card, 200mm fan, ATX PSU up to 160mm, and 1 3.5" and 2.5" drive a SFF case?

IDProG

Distinguished
Depends on the looks, but I think it's the biggest you can get to be called SFF. I like to think something like the Fractal Design Era ITX as the standard SFF size/looks.
Actually, my case will look more like NZXT H1 than Fractal Design Era ITX. It will utilize convection (intake at the bottom, exhaust at the top).

Here's my more detailed specs:
  1. 18.3L inside (without the frame)
  2. Supports Mini ITX motherboard
  3. Supports graphics card up to 330mm and up to 2.75 slot
  4. Supports ATX power supply up to 180mm (160mm recommended)
  5. Supports one 3.5" and one 2.5" drive
  6. Supports CPU Cooler up to Noctua NH-D15
  7. Supports a 200mm, 180mm, 140mm, or 120mm fan at the bottom, and 140mm fan (or 140mm radiator) at the top

IDProG

Distinguished
I'm well aware about that case. I was planning to buy the RVZ03. However, the bad thing about the case is that it has the same volume as RVZ03, yet it only supports SFX PSU.

I actually am making multiple designs of the Mini ITX case. The 18L is one of them.

I am also making another case design that has console form factor and 10-11L.

Actually, my case will look more like NZXT H1 than Fractal Design Era ITX. It will utilize convection (intake at the bottom, exhaust at the top).

I think we can't argue all day all night. It's a subjective thing. I personally think the H1 is a bit too tall and looks "a bit like a normal DIY PC". The Era ITX looks closer to an XBOX 360 (ironically, the Xbox X looks closer to the H1, LOL), but maybe it is only me. Do what your heart follows, who am I to dictate you what you should "feel"?

Good luck!

Last edited:

IDProG

Distinguished
I think we can't argue all day all night. It's a subjective thing. I personally think the H1 is a bit too tall and looks "a bit like a normal DIY PC". The Era ITX looks closer to an XBOX, but maybe it is only me. Do what your heart follows, who am I to dictate you what you should "feel"?

Good luck!
No, don't worry. The reason why I ask this is because I haven't decided what to "feel" about how small will it require for a case to be SFF.

I think I agree that 18L is too big for a SFF case.

It's naive of me to think that I can fit NH-D15 in a SFF case. I'm continuing my other design instead of this one. Thank you all for the answers!