How They Test the ThinkPad Hinge 30,000 Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
It's kinda reassuring knowing that at least some notebook manufacturers put their products through extreme repetitive motion tests like that.

KBentley57

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I can verify this. I've got a thinkpad from 2001 that still works fine with all original hardware (though I've replaced XP with ubuntu.)

The hinges on this thing are huge. It appears to be quarter inch hardened steel, and that is only the part you can see.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
LOL

what about the g530 model....yeah the hinges last forever but the screws that hold the hinges back off over time ( a few months ) and then they pivot from within the chassis causing the video cable to go bad!!!!

we have over 400 of these on our campus!!!

at least they learned from their mistakes on the next model update....

G

The G530s are not that great, but they also are not the same tier of laptop the Thinkpad is in. The G530 is consumer grade garbage similar to an Acer Aspire, HP Pavilion, or Dell Inspiron. However the Thinkpads are a more rugged laptop designed for people who are harder on them. In return they are more expensive. In the end, you get what you pay for.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]I always love IBM product.. [/citation]

IBM no longer designs or manufactures ThinkPads, Lenovo bought IBM's PC division awhile back.

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Even after transitioning from IBM to Lenovo they've demonstrated that their products are solid. One of my mates used to sell notebooks & the ThinkPad line continued to be a popular (and a wise) choice.

It's rare to see product lines that keep their quality, especially considering the business model IBM uses.

- First one I used was an Intel 486 DX/2

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad and I sell them (not directly) to my clients. They are easily better built than the usual $400~800 notebooks on the market. They still have NORMAL shaped keys on the keyboard. The HINGE is dated, but looks fine against the black and works excellent. They are kind of designed for the abuse that people subject notebooks... like picking them up by the lids. :(

[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]LOLwhat about the g530 model....yeah the hinges last forever but the screws that hold the hinges back off over time ~~ at least they learned from their mistakes on the next model update....[/citation]

The Lenovo G-Series is the Garbage line (was called 3000s) - value for the $300~500 market range. Can't expect much from a $400 notebook. The hinges on the G are nothing like ThinkPads. I wish Lenovo would jettison the low-end market, but business is business... and they want to make some money, BUT it can cost them sales for the higher end.

The IdeaPADs are lenovo's consumer high end notebooks... much better materials and modern looking notebooks. They are $500~900, but they are NOT ThinkPads.

ThinkPad support is still top end. Call them on the phone... go ahead. I do... great to get a human (who speaks english) even to ask them a question. Their staff usually knows their stuff.

PS: IBM buys and resells Thinkpads to their clients. Actually, they sell refurbished ThinkPads for about $300 (Core2), not bad.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i think compaq could learn frrom this as well, my roomate had one that just sat on a desk, within a year he had to put a book behind it cause the hinges stopped keeping the screen up... it kinda flopped around like a wet noodle

G

Khmm, khmmm,, only one thing to add to all of those comments - if you want real thinkpad, go for T-series, BUT NOT THE SL-series (they are now replacing it with L-series)!! There's soooo many users of SL 400, 500, 410 with their left hinge broken!! I personaly own 3 x SL 510 and they're "like some" better than those, but there's also few people around lenovo-forum with their hinge broken..
So, I'm not sayin anything against ThinkPads,, they are realy great,, almost undestroyable, just this "low-end" thinkpad series isn't anything better than any other usual laptop.. STILL they provide some unique features you can only find on ThinkPad.. So, if u're not planning to "move" your ThinkPad a lot,, I sugest to go for L-series (or SL if they are still on sale at your locals)..

Cheers, and visit lenovo forums for more details if you're thinking about purchasing ThinkPad.. You may find interesting suff out there ;)..

Status
Not open for further replies.