[SOLVED] how to access a hard drive with win 7 with 2 partitions on a win 10 system

assault1212

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
is it possible to access my old files from a win 7 pc using a win 10 system? the old win7 pc had 2 partitions ( c and d)

pc died a week ago due to motherboard problems. cost to buy a new motherboard for an old pc (i3-2120) was too expensive. so my friend gave me a brand new HP 280 G2 MT but i want to transfer some files before reformatting it.

opened the HP 280 G2 case and temporarily removed power and data to the new hard drive to connect it to my old hard drive. then turned on and the error "PXE-E61 Media Test Failure - Check Cable" appeared. checked the cable and reseated it (both ends) still didn't work. but when i reconnect the hard that came with the system it worked.

-do i need to tweak some bios settings for it to work?
-do i need special hardware or software to do this?
-does my new pc have a special security measures that prevent me from upgrading/swapping hard drive? and how to disable it?

Old system:
i3-2120
ECS-H61H2 M2 (broken)
WD Blue 500GB (2 partitions)
GT 630 2GB DDR3
4GB DDR3 1333
500W PSU
Win 7 Ultimate x64

New system:
HP 280 G2 Midtower PC
i7-6700
1TB WD Blue
8GB DDR4 2400
GT 720 2GB GDDR3
300W OEM PSU
Win 10 pro x64

Last edited:
Solution
No such need.
With a usb to sata external adapter cable, all of your files will be directly available when you attach your old HDD to the adapter.
Past that, you are not likely to even be able to boot on the new pc using your old windows 7 HDD.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to look into a HDD dock of any brand and tether the HDD to your system, after booting into Windows 10's GUI. You're essentially going to be using it as a portable/large pen drive and after you're done retrieving your files, you can format/wipe the drive.

assault1212

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
You might want to look into a HDD dock of any brand and tether the HDD to your system, after booting into Windows 10's GUI. You're essentially going to be using it as a portable/large pen drive and after you're done retrieving your files, you can format/wipe the drive.
gonna try this but ordering this is a bit of a hassle since it takes time. been finding this things for 5 days in our local pc components shops with no luck. if there's a way to insert both HDDs that can be read by win10 - boot to win10 - copy files - reformat using disc management

If the psu has an extra sata power connector and the motherboard has an extra sata data port, you should be able to temporarily connect the old HDD to the new system and access any data on the drive.
No need to mount the HDD in the case if you are careful to not short anything

If all else fails, buy a usb to sata 3.5" adapter like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-INCH-Converter-Activity-USB-DSC9/dp/B00DQJME7Y

You need one with wall power to run a 3.5" drive.

assault1212

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
If the psu has an extra sata power connector and the motherboard has an extra sata data port, you should be able to temporarily connect the old HDD to the new system and access any data on the drive.
No need to mount the HDD in the case if you are careful to not short anything

If all else fails, buy a usb to sata 3.5" adapter like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-INCH-Converter-Activity-USB-DSC9/dp/B00DQJME7Y

You need one with wall power to run a 3.5" drive.
sadly the oem hp 300w psu only has enough connectors for all available components within the system.

still waiting for my order sata to usb adaptor tho.

my plan was to temporarily insert the old hard drive and boot to the old win7 inside and transfer the files i needed into my external hard drive and format it. but this PXE error and the oem psu with only a single power connector is the problem.

No such need.
With a usb to sata external adapter cable, all of your files will be directly available when you attach your old HDD to the adapter.
Past that, you are not likely to even be able to boot on the new pc using your old windows 7 HDD.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS